View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #217
George_Bell
All Star Starter

1947 NHL Offseason News and Notes

Here are the top 10 playoff scorers

Sam LoPresti, sent to the minors in February, wins the Gardiner award for best goalie. He’s also named to the first all-star team….ok, sure….

The NHL will be adding a new award next season. The Art Ross Trophy will be handed out to the top scoring player on a yearly basis. It is named after former player and GM Art Ross, whose in the real life Hall of Fame.

Elite goalies highlight the draft this year. Jacque Plante and Terry Sawchuk are the top two picks, and Gump Worsley is a hell of a prospect as well.

Detroit would be well served to deal Johnny Bower or Gump Worsley. They don’t need them both. Hell, trade them both if they are gonna continue to play Frank McCool. Here is a look at first overall pick Plante.

It’s a quiet offseason, so now is a good chance to investigate the top single season scoring defenseman like I mentioned earlier. As far as I can tell, there is no easy way to see this. It looks like I have to view the list of top scoring season, and use my eyes to pick out defenseman on the list…..

1. Babe Pratt 58 pts 1942/43
2. Bill Quackenbush 52 pts 1946/47

That’s it. That’s the list of defenseman who appear on the top 100 scoring seasons list. Pain in the ass to search the list without any identifiers on it, that is something that can easily be added.

Babe Pratt holds the single season points by a defenseman mark.

Boston and Montreal make a deal right before training camp.

The Canadiens somehow convince Boston to move Red Kelly. Kelly is a 20 year old, capable of playing D and C. Very versatile depending on a teams depth. He would make a great partner for Doug Harvey, but the Bruins let him go. He’s gonna be a big part of Montreal going forward.

The Bruins get Pete Babando. He’s a nice player, coming off a 16 goal, 41 point season. Boston is very familiar with him, as he was a Bruin, traded to Montreal in January. I have to say advantage Montreal in this deal.

George_Bell is offline   Reply With Quote