View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 06:04 AM   #13
djday45
All Star Starter

Tom Sharkey

Sharkey really was a lesser version of Marciano who was unlucky not to be champion. His stats in the game are pretty accurate but need touching up slightly.

STANCE - change to Left handed. This is going to be debated. I know Sharkey was right handed but in my ratings I use this catergory to also represent factors that effected the opponent. The classic one is a boxer whose style is very awkward or unorthadox, so much like being a lefty he threw his opponent with his weird style Marciano is the classic one that comes to mind or Greb. Other factors such as fear and intimidation can also be represented here for example I always make Liston's stance left handed to represent his total scaryness factor which seemed to effect so many of his opponents before they got in the ring. There is really no other way of representing these factors at the moment and I find it works like a dream giivng these guys the extra little edge they should have.
Sharkey was the typical awkward brawlwer from hell, punching from such uneducated weird and down right wrong angles he gave his opponents fits.

FOULS - Change to Frequently. Rating is very wrong here he was a totally dirty fighter who would stop at nothing to win. a very tough man indeed.

CONTROL VS BOXERS - Change to 11. He actually did better against boxers such as Corbett and Fitzsimmons as he didnt give them time to set. think Frazier. This is often the way with swarmers.

CHIN VS KNOCKDOWN - change to 1. had a great chin. The punishment he took in the two Jeffries fights over 45 rounds was horrendous. His ko loses all came at the end of his career when he was totally shot.

RECOVERY - Change to 1. Great powers of recovery see above for ko losses.

AGRESSIVNESS - Change to 10. Total monster in the ring, relentless never stopping coming foward a no brainer 10.

STAMINA - Change to 10. Please read about the Jeffries fights and Sharkey was generally known for outlasing his opponents, sad for him he came up against Jeffries who was an even greater freak of superhuman nature.

DEFENSE - change to plus 5. He had a terrible defense, this was his one huge flaw as a fighter and contributed to him being shot so early in his career he just took so much punishment over his fights. the classic face first take 3 to land one type of fighter.

PUNCHES LANDED - Change to 36. a slight improvement to reflect his sheer volume of punches thrown not an increase in skill level.

OVERALL RATING - change to 9. A slight increase of one. Yo ushould now see Sharkey perform like the rough and tumble terror he truly was but also with big weaknessess in his makeup.

next up Jeffries.
djday45 is offline   Reply With Quote