View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 04:37 AM   #4
djday45
All Star Starter

James Corbett

Corbett is the father of modern scientific boxing, his influence on the sport should not be underestimated and the ratings below should serve to make him truly unique within his era.

Once again if I dont mention a rating you know I agree with it.

FIGHT INSIDE - Change to 1. Corbett disliked fighting inside as it took away to many advantages he brought to the table namely mobility speed and defense.

FIGHTING OUTSIDE - Change to 4. What made Corbett unique within his time period is that the vast majority of fighters back then fought one way. Straight ahead brawlers and wrestlers the quintessential examples being guys liek Kilrain and Mitchell. There were not the range of styles we have today. Even boxer punchers such as Fitzsimmons were considered rare and exceptional. Corbett broke the mold.

CLINCHING - change to 66. Movement, movement, movement This was his whole style. If he was forced to clinch he wasant using his game plan.

CONDITIONING -change to 3. Although he trained well and dilegently at the start of his career it cannot be avoided that he fought very few fights as regards the average of his era and once he became nationally famous spent more time touring in plays and shows and trading on his gentleman Jim persona.

INTELLECT - change to 9. one of the most intelligent fighters ever, im only docking him a point as really he was unable to change his style if a fight needed it, so compared to guys like Tunney and Walcott he should be a notch below in ring intelligence.

CONTROL FACTOR VS SLUGGER - change to 12. this represents he was def most at home fighting sluggers such as Sullivan and Kilrain. He always had most trouble with fighters who boxed him back like Jackson and Fitzsimmons, so keeping a 2 point spread here reflects both this trouble and his domination over sluggers.

CHIN VS KNOCKOUT - change to 3. Although having a pretty good chin, he was susceptable to KO's once hurt or tired as per his fights with Fitzsimmons and Jeffries. Once he went down more often than not he didnt get up.

POWER 0 change to 3. a slight increase in power here to properly reflect his knockout percentage of 26%.

PUNCHES LANDED - change to 42. Much faster than he is given credit for this is most represented in his counter pucnhing stat which should be immense. A small increase here is also warrented though.

DEFENSE - change to -5. although a master of defense, he still got knocked out enough times to suggest some fragility. I would rather keep the -6 for guys like Johnson.

COUNTERPUNCHING - change to 46. one of the best counter punchers in history and one of the fastest, his whole style was about this and the current stats are way out. Give the guy his due and make sure the stats reflect how he fought in reality.

PUNCH TYPES - reduce his uppercuts and crosses way down and increas his jabs and hooks. Corbett was all jabs and hooks this was his style in fact he is credited with greatly developing the hook. ensure the jab is his most thrown punch followed closely by the hook the other three should be trailing but with combinations in third place.

OVERALL RATING - change to 11. These changes bump him up a single point to 11.

Rerun the historical Sullivan and Corbett fight with these ratings. Set Sullivan to end and broke training and Corbett to prime and top condition and let me know what you come up with. I have run the fight many times and am very happy with the results.

Next up Kilrain.

Last edited by djday45; 06-12-2008 at 04:34 AM.
djday45 is offline   Reply With Quote