View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #79
EJ
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestre View Post
Unfortunately with the crackdown on fighting the game has lost much of its passion. I find it hard to watch regular season games anymore, you couldn't drag me away from "any" game in the 70's and 80's. Now the difference between regular season games and playoff games is EXTREME, didnt used to be so pronounced. Game has changed alot over the last 20 years:

Crackdown on fighting
Massive increase in Goalie Pads size
Clutch and grab style of play
Player size increase resulting in smaller seeming rink sizes
Serious head injuries due to lack of player enforcement being allowed
etc etc etc....
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuffleball View Post
IMHO, the two bold points have done more to harm the charm and appeal of the sport than anything. I came into the game in the mid 1980s. LOVED the flow and the potential that there could be a score literally every time a team started up ice on the attack. That anticipation was exciting, at least for me.

The "modern" game has lost that feeling, IMO. "Systems" replaced being creative and free flowing play. Goalie pads balooned and there's nothing to shot at. Rarely now does a player come flying down the wing and blast one by the goalie. The defensive system has cut off the flying down the wing part, and the wall of goalie pads as literally cut off any view of the net.

It's a shame really. I want players to be protected, but I think goalies are a bit too bloated nowadays. And the clutch-n-grab stuff is a little better now, but the system behind it, is still there and stifling flow.
I too very much miss the NHL game of the '70s and '80s. The only time I get a glimpse of that kind of end-to-end action now is 4-on-4.

I am particularly weary of a) blocked shots, b) that such a large percentage of the game is played along the boards, and c) that teams look to generate offense with shots from the point / crash the net.
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote