View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 04:11 AM   #10
joehart
All Star Starter

A lot has happened since we last reported on the status of the team.

Standings:
The Infinite Powers team was able to climb all the way to the top and tied for 1st place in the NC East Division.
This triggered a game 163 to determine which team would be able to skip the wild card race.

Game 163:
Greinke dominated the game and pitched 8.1 innings with 0 Earned Runs. This performance helped lower his ERA down to 2.88
making him the 3rd best pitcher behind Gibson and Splittorff.

Team changes and updates:

1. Claude Passeau was aquired during the last report so here are his stats for his last 12 starts.
He lead the team to 7 wins and 2 losses while pitching 81 innings (average of 6.2 innings) for an ERA of 3.11 (ERA+ of 134).
Essentially, he reached 2 WAR in just 12 games.
Felix Hernandez also reached 2 WAR but it took him 25 stars (12 win - 6 losses).

PP Earnings:
Bob Gibson: 1880 points (1500 for Domination award: 9 innings, 1 walk, 0 Hits, 0 Runs, 5Ks). Almost a Perfect game.
Zach Greinke: 610 points
Felix Hernandex: 0 points
Claude Passeau: 100 points
Paul Splittdorr: 100 points.

While Passeau is not a points earner like Bob Gibson, he is a reliable #3 or #4 starter pushing the much more expensive Felix Hernandez into the #5 pitching spot.

2. My son pulled the trigger on Roberto Clemente.
He will be the backup RF and platoon LF player (Gwynn/Clemente).

This created a bit of a nightmare since the team has no backup for Paul Blair in CF against RHPs.
Ichiro can play CF but he is already in the lineup against RHPs.

In other words, my son will have to find a solution next season.
Most likely, Pete Rose will be traded for a CF utility player like Richie Ashburn or Garry Maddox.

3. Francisco Lindor was added during the last report so here is his first recap of his performance.
46 Games started - .327 AVG, .401 OBP, .829 OPS, 129 OPS+, 1.3 WAR.

Again, my son is very happy with the addition. You can't ask for more from someone that came in to play SS and train at 1B.

Initially he was supposed to become the utility infielder on the team but his performance justified a full-time move to SS.
Once again, the team is without a utility infielder and a new player will have to be trained next season.
Larry Bowa can learn 2B and 3B but it is not clear if he will stay on the team for the long run.

Eventually my son still wants to find a way to get Lou Boudreau or maybe go for a 2019 Live player like Andrelton Simmons.

4. My son used his free achievement pack from playing regular OOTP to open one regular pack. He was lucky and pulled Diamond Juan Soto,
who was sold for 7,800 PPs.
He then opened 11 packs and sold a Diamond Paxton for 4,000 PP, a Joey Votto for 2,070 PP, and kept two Gold cards for the future:

A. Unsung Hero Closer Gene Garber (Gold 84) - 62 Stuff, 79 Movement, 88 Control.

He fits in perfectly and now all Relievers have 79 or higher Movement.
He decided to ignore the lack of Stuff for now and worry about it when his pitchers fail to keep the team in the game.

B. Future Legend Keston Hiura (Gold 89).
Hiura does not have elite defensive stats but should be able to reach 68 at 1B.
He hits for high contact against both LHPs and RHPs so he may be an ideal 1B replacement for Keith Hernandez or
platoon candidate for Left Handed 1B Hernandez and Left Handed DH Tommy Holmes.

My son has not decided how to make it happen and left him on the reserves for now.
He will be added once he has a long term plan or can start the training process.

Defensive training:
1. Travis Jackson is up to 105 at 2B (108 games to get from 0-105)
2. Johnny Pesky is up to 100 at 3B (130 games to get from 0-100)
3. Francisco Lindor is up to 39 at 1B (32 games)
4. Roberto Clemente is up to 37 in LF (23 games)
5. Tony Gwynn is up to 68 in LF (85 games)

Last edited by joehart; 05-05-2019 at 04:23 AM.
joehart is offline   Reply With Quote