View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 01:21 PM   #44
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

4) Introduction of rookies
- Selection

This is quite subjective as I run a mixed-era universe and have no hard and fast rules for who enters when. Also, I am still fleshing out what the 'right' number of active fighters is for me. I have imported 500 to 800 rookies in each of the past three years. For the upcoming year (1904) I plan to introduce 2 fighters per region per division for a total of 170 1904 rookies.

My plan for 1905 and beyond is to introduce 1 fighter per region per division each year for a total of 85 new fighters every year. This should offset the retirements but I am sure that I will be forever adjusting this.

I do try to keep the following guidelines / targets in mind as I select new fighters each year:

1) I want to work toward a balance of at least a 2:1 ratio to stiffs to real fighters and eventually a 3:1 ratio.

2) I want the overall balance of real fighters rated over 8, 4 to 7 and 3 and under to approximate a 15:50:35 ratio within each global division. This is a rough guess on my part that may need to be reassessed in the future.

3) I give no thought to balancing the talent from one region to another. The talent level between the five geographical regions that I use is vastly different in the real world depending upon the weight class. I try to balance in a global sense and the regional differences tend to fall in place as they naturally should.

- fighter file export, import and set-up

Once I go through the selection process, I move the fighters to a temporary database where I can work on them before moving them to my universe database. Briefly, here are the databases that I maintain:

1) Complete database:
This contains all the ratings that come from the Trunzos or users here on the board as they were created with no alteration

2) Rookie database:
This is an essentially blank database with one token file in it (see post 6, item 1A) It is used as a staging area.

3) Universe database:
This contains only my universe.

I back everything up fanatically.

Rookie transfer process:

1) From the start screen, click the 'fighters' button
2) check the 'select' box at the far left box for each of the fighters that you have selected to incorporate in the universe. (I generally do this one division at a time.
3) Go to menu, export selected. This will move the files to the exchange file within the Titlebout folder.
4) Leaving all the select boxes checked, go to Menu, Change Group and select 'Transfers', ok. I have a group in the complete database named 'Transfers'. I move fighter files to this group so that I can segregate them when searching for the next rookie class.
5) Repeat for all divisions.

Switch to the Rookie Database.

6) Go to Menu, import and surf to the exchange folder within the title bout folder.
7) Highlight all the files and click import
8) Each file needs to be 'dressed' as follows:
---a. Fighter Tab:
-----1. Career start date - enter the rookie year
-----2. Date of birth - I always randomly make them 18 to 21 years old when they enter
-----3. Corner men - If you assign these do so, or be sure to have generic selected
-----4. Era - set to Active
-----5. Career stage - set to beginner
-----6. I usually fix the skin color because I have the separate generic photos for each that someone posted a while back, but this is not otherwise relevant.
-----7. Auto-aging activated - check
-----8. Include in auto-scheduler - check
---b. Biography Tab - I double-check the Boxrec file. I try to alway look at the real fighters record prior to transfer after the great Lobster Hayashida incident.
---c. Ratings Tab - Be sure that 'C.S. Adjust' is checked
---d. History Tab - just be sure there is not stray data to delete before moving the file to your universe.

9) Once all files are 'dressed', delete the files in the exchange folder manually.
10) Click the 'select all' button from the fighters screen
11) Go to Menu, Export selected and put them all in the exchange folder
12) Close the rookie database, open your universe and import these rookies ready to go.
13) Delete the rookie database fighters from the exchange folder and the rookie database so everything is set for the next year.

Up Next:

5) Maintenance issues
- Performance points
- watching for stragglers