View Single Post
Old 07-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #5
Bengal57
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Jeter and the Astro's

The Story I read on that situation is this, Hal Newhouser was a scout for the Astros and he happened to hear about Jeter when he was in high school here in Michigan. Newhouser resided in West Bloomfield hills which is where my son goes to school his mother lives there. I guess a lot of the Detroit athletes live there ,because my 11 year old son goes to school with Barry Sanders 11 year old son, anyway Hal went to Kalamazoo Mi. to watch this kid named Jeter play ball and was really impressed by his play. He told the Astros to put Jeter on their radar and to draft him when he became available. Well when that chance came I don't know what year but I'm thinking 1994 because Jeter went straight to the majors in 95 he never played a game in the minors aka Al Kaline. Newhouser was so angry that the Astros passed on him that he quit. and the Yankees drafted Jeter and the rest is history. What I don't understand is why didnt the Tigers draft him ? he played ball in their back yard. No the Tigers think California is the answer. Why I'll never know. anyway that's the story I read on baseball reference.Hal's bio is gone and in it's place is a book that you have to buy,lol a lot of them do that now.

Last edited by Bengal57; 07-15-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Bengal57 is offline   Reply With Quote