View Single Post
Old 07-30-2019, 11:46 AM   #74
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

October 1926

The 1926 season came to an end today with the New York Stars continuing the red hot play that allowed them to overtake my Brooklyn Kings and win the Continental Association. The Stars topped the Federal Association champion New York Gothams in 5 games to win their record third consecutive World Championship Series. As for my Kings, we dominated the CA in all offensive categories, were middle of league in the key defensive measurements but, as we knew, our pitching failed to measure up as we finished 6th in the 8th team league in both starts era and bullpen era.

Which means while I am happy with our season there are some changes needed. First thing I want to do is clear out some of the pitchers who, while likely still have value, need a change of scenery for one reason or another. I announced to the league the following were on the trade block at a very reasonable price:

Quote:
Looking ahead to next season the Kings have a number of players we would consider moving. Let's start with pitchers. None of these have a hefty price tag but are veterans who might fill out your staff. Looking for mid-to-late round draft picks in exchange. I am listing 4 but will only move 2 tops as I will keep the others for roster depth.

29 year old Bob Curtis. limited FABL experience but had a decent year in AAA Houston, going 8-14 on a well below .500 club.

33 year old Jackie Marshall
. Was 4-4 with a 4.52 era in Brooklyn but missed a couple of months with an injury (hamstring not arm related)

29 year old Dick Dover. Was 8-4 for Kings and 5-6 with 7 saves as a closer in Houston. Started the season on the top 20 pitcher list but struggled for me this year at times. Was also very good at times and I think a change of scenery might help him. He, like Marshall, is expendable because of our trade deadline deals.

30 year old reliever Buck Blood. Had a great start to season - era was still a respectable 3.71 at the end of June but struggled down the stretch. Personality says he is a hard worker but he and my manager Powell Slocum don't get along so I think a change of scenery might help him as well.

I also realize my best bargaining chip to get something in return at a position of need is to move 1 or 2 of my large stable of talented young outfielders. Here is the trade note posted about them:

Quote:
At a little higher price tag will be an outfielder. I have just too much depth here so I am looking to move one if I can find the right deal. I would want youth, preferably middle infield, a power hitting corner infielder, pitching or draft picks in return. I would consider moving 1 of the following:

CF Lou Cox. 29 year old led the FABL in stolen bases while slashing .328/.397/.459 but is being chased for his job by Ab Thomas.

CF-LF Ab Thomas - Just 21 years old hit .358 at Houston with 44sb in 80 games before call-up to Brooklyn when Lightbody went down. All he did for Kings was force Slocum to play him, slashing .358/.388/.468. It would take a special player(s) to get me to part with him but will consider it for the right deal.

RF-LF Clarence Hall - 27 year old lost starting job to Lightbody but took over after the injury. In 318 plate appearances hit .345/.424/.461 but my outfield is crowded so would consider moving.

OF- Jim Renfroe. 24 year old is my top prospect. Can play all 3 OF spots and split season between AA and AAA, hitting .308 at Knoxville and .270 with 31sb and 5HR in 57 games for the Bulls. Just no room for him in foreseeable future in Brooklyn.
I have had a couple of casual discussions on the trade front but nothing concrete yet. I will ramp up the talks as we get closer to the draft. Beyond that I did not have much to do during the sims the World Championship Series was being played (but I hope to change that next year). I made some minor roster tinkering, releasing a couple of older minor leaguers and starting to evaluate my organizational depth chart for next season. I also completed an in-depth scouting mission to look at the college feeder league. Next on the agenda is for Rube Carter (my scouting director) and myself to delve heavily into the crop of high schoolers.

We don't have a first round pick thanks to the deal with Cleveland to acquire Mose Smith but I believe we will have the first pick of the second round thanks to the same deal with the Foresters.
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote