View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #61
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

July 26, 1926

I missed posting the update from yesterday's sim but to be honest there is not much to do with my Brooklyn Stars right now. We went 4-3 last week and 3-4 this week so we ended up with a nice13-7 record on our road trip. A little disappointing to drop 3 straight after taking the first two from our main rival for first place the Philadelphia Sailors to end the week. This is a big 6 game stretch (3 in Philly followed by 3 at Kings County Park. There is still 1 game to play in this series and 9 more meetings with the Sailors after that but the 3 straight losses cut our lead atop the Continental Association to 1.5 games.

We also need to watch out for the hard charging New York Stars, who were 8 games back of us at the beginning of July but now are just 2.5 behind us. Neither us nor Philly have played bad, it's the Stars have been on an incredible 18-4 run since July began.

The trading deadline is coming up soon but the Kings are going to stand pat. I made all the moves I felt I could a couple of sims ago in adding veteran pitchers Mose Smith and Del Plummer. Smith, who was so good for Cleveland but never got run support, has struggled in Brooklyn going 2-4 with a 5.01 era. Plummer is 4-1 with a 4.60 era since coming over from Montreal. Except for the no-hitter, Topsy Moran has struggled since returning from his injury. He is 0-3 with a 7.67 era in July so I think I am going to give him a week in Houston to try and sort things out. Art Carlson has been outstanding for the Bulls since being sent down so he gets a week in Brooklyn while Moran hopefully regains his form.

For the first time I decided to override manager Powell Slocum's decisions as I want Leon Campbell, a lefthander, starting the final game against Philadelphia. Hopefully it's not overreacting and trying to over manage after losing the last 3 to the Sailors but we will have to see if it pays off. A bit of a gamble as Campbell is considered our #5 starter but he is 7-0 and always seems to get a ton of run support, plus the Sailors seem to hit better against righthanders and their 2-3-4 hole hitters all bat lefthanded including outfielder David Merchant, who has been on a tear of late.

After the game with the Sailors, we welcome Cleveland and Chicago to Brooklyn to close out July.

Code:

CONTINENTAL ASSOCIATION LEAGUE STANDINGS
		 W  L   GB
BROOKLYN	62 39    -
Philadelphia	58 38   1.5
New York	56 38   2.5
Toronto		43 54  17.0
Baltimore	43 54  17.0
Chicago		34 45  14.5
Montreal	37 60  23.0
Cleveland	38 62  23.5
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote