Thread: Exit Velocity?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #15
x McLovin x
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Ball Dave View Post
This grumpy one says the question still stands; What does it tell you that you didn't already know? Stanton hits 500' home runs, Billy Hamilton doesn't. Knowing the average exit velocity sheds no light on either player.

I'll take it a step further, say we have a player who consistantly hits 35-40 hrs a year at pretty much the same rate per ab. But his average exit velocity isn't has high as some others who don't hit HRs at nearly the same rate. From this we conclude...........what?
Let me pose a scenario for you: say you have two players with little historical information and service time, and to this point have approximately equal home run rates. Let's also say you are interested in acquiring players that have a higher chance of hitting more extra base hits/home runs in the future. Would you not consider those players' average exit velocities and average launch angles to be key variables in that assessment?

My purposes for wanting these stats may not align with yours and that's fine. That doesn't make these stats any less credible, or useful, however. Would exit velocity and launch angle provide any additional 'useful' information for a player you already know has a large history of being an incredible power hitter? Well, not really, but it would sure be fun to see it anyway and see how they compare with modern players, right?

I'm generally of the opinion that including more search parameters can only really improve the overall user experience...you can always look at whatever variables you want to look at, but I would find it hard to believe that having more tools/information at your disposable to make better informed decisions, if you so choose, is a bad idea. Maybe that's just me though.
x McLovin x is offline   Reply With Quote