View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #23
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
Backup Approach
I personally recommend a multi-layered approach to backing up OOTP, to ensure both your saved game and any customizations you might have made are saved. My personal approach is this:
  • On the first day of every season, I zip up my entire saved game folder and label it something like "New World Baseball League 2017 Season Start".
  • On the first day of the offseason, I do the same thing.
  • Before every time I quit the game, I use the in-game functionality to do an incremental backup. (Because I sim one day at a time, sometimes I will backup after each in-game day.)
  • If I EVER want to do something drastic to a league - delete data, import data, mess with schedules, change league structure, etc., I do a one-off zip of my entire league.
  • Periodically, I put at least my most recent zip file onto an external backup hard drive. It's always a good idea to put a backup somewhere that is not in the same physical location as your computer. A hard drive you keep somewhere else, the cloud, etc. That way, if something awful happens like you have a fire in your house, at least your OOTP will be saved!
i never have used the zip-file idea before, just made regular OOTP backups. Since this thread started, i make 2 a season now, one at the start of pre-season, and one after the amateur draft .... great idea ..

i was never certain if i should back-up (with a zip file) my entire OOTP17 folders, or just the saved games one. i do make regular (as in daily when i quit playing) back-ups with the game back-up feature. Those just overwrite the previous one, as i keep one file for each season, going back 3 or 4 years.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 07-23-2016 at 11:53 AM. Reason: changing unneeded info
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote