View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 04:32 PM   #22
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
I suppose I'm somewhere in between that ^^^ and where you, CobraMgr and others here are. I think it's kinda ridiculous that the NBA & NHL have 82-game regular seasons, and then let 53% and 52%, respectively, of thier teams into playoffs (although I do enjoy the playoff series' and realize that playoff contraction is not in the foreseeable future). And even the MLB, at 33%, is too high IMO given the 162-game regular season. But in the NFL, where in a 16-game regular season the difference between 9-7 and 11-5 can be a missed kick and blown call, I don't have a problem at all with a move from 37.5% to 43.8%.
You make a good point on the part I snipped, and mostly here. But my main problem is by adding a 7th know that they will be 9-7 or worse 75% of the time. Which leads to probably the only part I disagree mostly with below.

Quote:
I guess I look at it this way:

a) If a 9-7 or 10-6 seventh seed is just as good as an 11-5 team, then there's no harm because we should be in for a good game against the #2 seed.
The 10-6, yeah, the 9-7s? not so sure. A 9-7 team has made it to the super bowl a total of 3 times. !0 and 11 win teams have been there probably more than two dozen times. But I do realize they get more chances. So you might be closer to right than it looks.

Quote:
a) If, OTOH, a 9-7 or 8-8 seventh seed has no real business being in the playoffs, then the #2 seed that will face them should have a relatively easy, rust-preventing trip to the divisional playoffs.

That's how I see it. YMMV
This is where we part ways. I don't think they should be there based on their record. I don't care how good they are or what chance they have. It's like I mentioned before. The Minnesota Northstars went to the Stanley Cup with a 27-39-14 record. Why play the regular season? They had no business being in the playoffs.

It's like I said. I don't believe a team that simply has a winning record should be in the playoffs unless they win the division. I certainly don't think a .500 team should get the chance as a wildcard.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote