View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #27
The_Cobra
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Location: Carlton, Nottingham - 5 mins down the road from Frochy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrouble77 View Post
Very excited to see you guys are giving this a shot. Some more food for thought...

Break up your tasks into very small, simple problems. Don't think scheduler or financial system yet... think very small to start. Try to think of all the little problems that you will encounter first.
As far as advice goes, that resonates with me particularly. Couldnt really agree more and to be fair, thats kind of how I've gone about it on my end. I'm actually finding its a bit intimdating to think about the thing as a whole and how it will fit together in detail and how entire sections will work, and how they will interact with other sections, but to actually get to work on the parts of that whole without stressing about the project is enjoyable - especially when small breakthroughs are made (which seem to come every few days for me).

To illustrate that point, most of the coding I'm doing at the moment is in the form of small experiments, experiments which then turn into little breakthroughs in finding a method to do a particular task, which then forms the basis of how to move forward with the main coding. In other words, right now I'm trying to take baby steps.

As for making it an online thing, to be honest I've noticed a fair few online boxing games crop up recently, and dont really want to be part of that scene just yet because it will add-in competition onto what is already a hard enough task to begin with. When I look at the project as a whole though, there is a natural progression to want to turn it into an online thing a couple years down the line, but by that time the app will have to have shed its dependancy on TBCB. No point in having an online boxing management game that relies on an offline software package to run.

It raises an interesting point actually, and one thats been on my mind recently. Is it an intelligent decision to be developing a mod on an ageing piece of software or should I just be starting something from scratch, something that can operate on its own. I've been wrestling with that one in my head for weeks, and the only reason I decided to kick things off like this is because sometimes you can spend time planning things that never actually happen (because your too busy constantly planning them). I'm one of those people who if I dont get off my backside and actually get to the doing part, I'd be quite happy to sit around doing the planning part indefinitely.
The_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote