View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 06:47 PM   #1
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Slightly Disappointed

So I've played a half a season or so in game, and I've simmed considerably with some historical stuff, and I gotta say, my overall impression of the game this year is "Meh." I've been playing OOTP since 2002, and really, with the exception of the OOTP 6 (I believe?) debacle, if you were going to draw a graph of annual improvement to the game, it would have an overwhelming upward trend. This year though, for the first time in a while, I feel like we are flattening out.

I'm all for new game modes, but it feels like the game is almost "all in" on Perfect Team, something that personally I never even plan to start up. Then again, I also don't play "The Chel" or the FIFA online modes that also rely on card packs so...

The 3D changes are fantastic, but I'd like more control over 3D game speed. You need to set PbP to "VERY FAST" to get it to keep up with the play on the field, and games just generally feel like they take considerably longer than even OOTP19. It'd be nice to be able to increase or decrease the 3D speed to fit the user's needs.

Scouting still feels like a largely useless venture. Baseball teams have a large scouting team. How about giving us a similar option? Let us sign scouts.. create a more effective "fog of war" and allow us to scout up players with some level of importance. Give me scouting summaries.. Players to watch... make the off the field stuff a little more involved.

Player happiness and relationships need to be better addressed too. Establish favorite staff.. Favorite players... if I want to sign a big name free agent, maybe I bring in the backup catcher who is his good friend to try and help entice him to come to my team. Really, the only way to address off the field issues is by dealing with them ON the field. Morale goes beyond the diamond. Along with that, I havent played much Manager Only, but its mainly because of the lack of interaction with the GM. I should be able to have input to tell my GM that I want a better 2B, or ask him to call up a minor leaguer or send a guy down. I just want interaction.

The lineup management has taken a step back too. I'd rather be able to look at my depth chart, complete with starters, with a blank roster and slot people in. I can no longer do that. If I set my depth starters, the game slots them in. If I clear the lineup, the depth chart assignments disappear as well. There are separate selections still to "Clear Depth Chart" and "Clear Lineup" but the "Clear Lineup" still effectively clears the starters from the depth chart.

These are all things that I feel could have taken a leap forward over the last couple of years, but here we are.

Its not all negative though. I like what the 3D animation has become despite the lack of speed control. We've gone from a 2D game to a Microleague baseball "pawn" style to now something that honestly rivals FM in on the field graphics, and I really like that. Fantastic job.

And Spray Charts!! FINALLY! SPRAY CHARTS! I love them. They are beautiful. Maybe pitch selection will be next? Maybe I missed it this year.. not sure.

Anyway, I will continue to support this project from the OOTP folks, as I have for the last 17 years. But as long time buyer of the product, I just wanted to share my thoughts. If PT is the direction they want to go, well, that's the company's decision. It'd just be a shame to see the rest of us left behind.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic