Thread: Defensive Range
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #12
ToTheBackstop
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy_patters View Post
When I have that happen, I always assume that the guy is fast but lack base running instincts and technique. For example, maybe he doesn't round bases correctly, or perhaps he is late reacting when the ball is hit. Consequently, he is fast getting to balls in the field, but he is slow running the bases.
Yeah, that would have been my immediate presumption as well, but there's actually an explicit rating for Baserunning (separate from Speed) that would seem to cover that -- from the manual: Baserunning Instincts is a measure of a player's instincts when running the bases..

I can definitely buy that there are guys that are fast (high speed) but clueless on the basepaths -- I think we've all seen them in real life -- and that there are slow guys who have good baserunning skills, but it's difficult to envision a really slow guy that can have plus-plus defensive range even if he takes great routes to the ball and has near-psychic abilities in getting a great break when the ball is put in play. (But I just go with it -- this is just an odd quirk to me.)
ToTheBackstop is offline   Reply With Quote