View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 01:31 AM   #61
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Sunday, May 6, Year I

I asked Dave Dafoe, our Scouting Director, to give me his report on the June Draft 30 days before we have to be picking. I got his report this morning, which is 29 days before the Draft. So that is how he operates, is it?

We will have the second pick in the draft, after the Baltimore Orioles, and it is very clear who we should be taking with that pick: SP Dave Murphy (18-R). He is not a big fellow (5' 11" 175 lbs), but he stands head and shoulders above every other pitcher in the class. Not only does my own statistical analysis rate him as the best, but both our own Dave Dafoe and the Scouting Combine have him listed as the best available starting pitcher.

So, probably he is who Baltimore picks....

If they do, then we will probably take OF Bob Crawford (18-R). He is the best hitter available who can also play some defense. He will be a corner outfielder in the majors and our need for outfielders is not great, but he is clearly the best of the everyday players in this class.

There is a college pitcher, Ron Dreiling (21-L) of Purdue, who looks very good and I may be tempted to take him with the second pick if Dave Murphy is chosen by Baltimore. I am a sucker for guys that throw five different pitches and Dreiling throws six!

I will have to think about it. We have quite a few outfield prospects in our minor leagues already and not very many rotation candidates coming up. If Dreiling was 22 or 23, I would not even be tempted and if he was 19 or 20, I would take him in a heart beat, but 21 is in that gray area. I will have to think about it.

I have 29 days to mull it over and rank the other 958 players who will be drafted....
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote