View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
dev6015
Bat Boy

Player Progression Questions

So I discovered this game and started playing it about a month ago. I'm in about year five of a fictional league, and have mostly loved it so far. However, I have run into a few issues that are affecting my enjoyment of it because it seems unrealistic. Specifically:

- I started looking at the previous amateur draft logs for my league and it confused me because almost all of the players drafted in Round 1 at least three years ago are pretty good and most are in the MLB. Looking back through some historical first rounds on Baseball Reference shows that in any given draft only about half of the first rounders even make it to the big show, and many fewer do so within three years. This is starting to affect my enjoyment of the game since things seem to progress so linearly. I don't want to know that the teams with a top 10 pick will always get a good player and that seems to be the case now. I have found these issues to manifest themselves in both my fictional league and another MLB quick start that I had done as well. All of my development, aging and TCR settings were set to default, but I recently reduced the development speed and increased the TCR. I have done a bunch of research and some people advocate higher TCR, but won't that mean that I have to accept a lot more 13th rounders becoming MLB players as well? I just want to model the most realistic drafted player progression as possible.

- It seems like there are too many star / superstar players and not enough "league average" type guys (by OSA player rating). At any given time there are a whole bunch of 70 - 80 OSA rated players (out of 80), and not enough 50ish (league average) players. Obviously, most of the MLB is made up of league average type players but that does not seem to be reflected in OOTP. This particularly manifests itself in Relievers, which has more highly-rated players than any other, which doesn't seem realistic to me. Maybe some relieves should be rated highly, but their ratings should be highly variable between seasons (and within each season) to more accurately reflect reality. Are there some settings that I could change to make the talent distribution tend more towards the fat part of the bell curve for major leaguers?

- I just had an offseason where I found it incredibly easy to sign two very good, All Star / MVP level players.

1) I signed a 31 year old left fielder with a 78 OSA rating that is Extremely Popular and four-time All Star (in the five seasons my league has been in existence) for three years at $3.8MM/year. He was injured at the time I signed him and had missed almost the whole prior season, but on Opening Day he is healthy again.

2) I also signed a 75 OSA rated Starting Pitcher for $2.8MM/year for three years. This guy was also 31 years old and Extremely Popular, in addition to being a two time Cy Young winner and a three time all star. He tore his flexor tendon in the prior year and will be out for the first three months of the season, but there's no way that a pitcher in that situation would sign a contract like that. Can you imagine Darvish becoming a free agent next year and getting a contract like that even after his injury? No way. He would still get a rich contract, even if it was a one year deal for $15MMish.

Note that the median team payroll is $115MM, and both of these players were both injured at the time I signed them. I was initially excited to get both of them but eventually the lack of realism set in with me and now I haven't played in over a week because it bothered me so much. I set the AI ratings set at 55 / 30 / 10 / 5 to try to address this issue but have not had time to see how it works.

Any help the community can provide would be great. I am just looking for the most realistic experience possible, and these things are in danger of making me not buy the upcoming version.
dev6015 is offline   Reply With Quote