View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #142
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

11/1/1910 - Intro to the Cardinals

With the move across town I have gone from a team with a fan interest of 100 to 59. We definitely aren't the main attraction in St. Louis. The Cardinals have gone from winning the first World Series in 1901 with a 79-61 record to 59-95 last season. There last winning season came in 1905 when they went 81-73, although they did break even in 1907 with 77 wins and losses.

My first action as GM was to fire every one of my remaining coaches. We needed a trainer and scout already, but nobody was really worth keeping. So the first update will be just based on stats, and our amateur draft will be without the benefit of scouting as well.

Starting Pitchers
Sam Weaver 17-18, 2.69 ERA
Arlie Pond 15-19, 2,84 ERA
Doug Fister 9-21, 2.59 ERA
John Stuper 8-20, 3.39 ERA

It's not hard to see why we ranked last in every pitching category, although we also finished worst in defensive efficiency as well. Pond is the veteran at 33 years old, followed by Weaver (29), Stuper (27), and Fister (25). 28 year old Zach Day is the only other rotation candidate in the minors, although he never appeared in the majors at 28.

20 year old Vic Keen pitched well in the bullpen 2-0, 1.00 ERA and is capable of starting, and was one of the interesting prospects that I traded to the Cardinals from my time with the Browns. Brian Bannister, Gene Nelson, and Ted Lewis are other relievers who could start, although they aren't starting for a reason.

Catchers
Brian Downing(28) and Javier Valentin (25) have the catcher position locked down. They may not be the ideal long term solution, but I've got bigger fish to fry.

Infield
Greg Brock (32), Red Smyth (24), Hal McRae (25), and John McGraw (28) make up my infield. McGraw has no business playing shortstop, McRae shouldn't be playing at third, and Smyth at second worries me. Cylde Engle functioned as our utility infielder, but is rated poorly defensively.

Outfield
25 year old Mel Hall is our starting centerfielder, and Wes Covington (26) the starting left fielder. Only Richie Zisk (26) was capable of playing the position he was playing at. It's obviously not hard to see why we struggled defensively, and I think improving my defense will help improve our pitching results.

My top targets
Bernie Fryberg is capable of holding down third base, and hit .284 last season. There is no reason he shouldn't be our starting third baseman, and will get first crack at the third base job. While that isn't much in my priority list, the rest of my priorities are:
2) Centerfielder
3) Shortstop
4) Second Base

The middle of the field needs big help, and we will put better fielders in those positions, even if our offense suffers.

With the second pick in the draft it came down to three choices - Barry Bonds, Chipper Jones, or Paul Molitor. Obviously we aren't going by position of need here, just best available, but I reluctantly drafted Bonds. Centerfielder Mookie Wilson was our second pick, with 2B Bobby Richardson our third pick. Shortstop Bob Meinke was picked fourth, and our final pick was starting pitcher Rube Marquard.
NYY #23 is offline   Reply With Quote