View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #17
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Class of 1946, Pitchers, Part 2 - Joss, Nolan, Hughson

One thing I absolutely love about OOTP is how it allows me to play out "what might have been"s for players. I really like how the player development engine in conjunction with the recalc feature gives me a very plausible output that, imo, is superior to anything on the market.

All of these players were deemed Hall worthy by the program. However, they were not the first three examined since the previous post. One sub .500 career pitcher narrowly missed out (sub .500 pitchers will get in using this method, which is fine, they are there in RL) and one 300 game winner did not reach current standards.

Still, the quality of pitchers waiting the call is extraordinary. Consider that in the class of 1945 almost 300 hitters were screened, and only 5 met the standards for that year.

The standards for 1946 have dropped with the induction of the 1945 class into the averages, but I only had to examine 25 pitchers before finding six that met the criteria I have set for induction. This is not due to the biases of raw Black/Gray Ink numbers for pitchers vs hitters. Those figures are proportionately normalized to offer equal comparisons between both groups.

-----------

Addie Joss joins Walter Johnson as the other pitcher to be inducted in this class that is also in the real HOF. Unlike Johnson, Joss had a simulated career that does not mirror his historical longevity.

Debuting in 1906, as the first pick from the 1905 draft, he competed through the 1923 season. Joss posted a record of 303-272 and chalked up 1799 strikeouts and a career OOTP ERA of 2.61.

Joss pitched during the no ASG years, but was still honored with 3 CYAs, a GG, and the ROY award.

Joss pitched in 6 WS, winning 5 times while posting an 8-3 record in 12 starts. Joss meets the HOF criteria with his HOFm number exceeding the current Hall average.

Black Ink 50 (19)
Gray Ink 217 (139)
HOF Monitor 210.5 (89)
HOF Standards 52 (47)

----------

The Only Nolan...I smile every time I see that. Edward Sylvester Nolan must have been a fun guy to be with on road trips. If he had been a teammate of Jim Bouton we would surely know a lot more about him.

In this universe, he was a monster of a pitcher for many years. In a career running from 1920 through 1938 he won 326 games vs 275 losses and struck out 2903 batters. He led the league in wins 5 times and in strikeouts ELEVEN times.

He won a GG, appeared in an All-Star game, and 3 times was given the Cy Young Award. He won the pitching triple crown in 1927 and 1928.

His Black Ink and Gray Ink numbers each exceed the Hall average.

Black 96
Gray 313
HOFm 173
HOFs 48

--------------------------

Tex Hughson barely missed getting in on current standards, but enters by reaching the Veteran criteria. In a career that spanned from 1883 to 1903 he won 263 games while loosing 254. He struck out 1897 batters and had an OOTP ERA of 2.74.

The 9 time All Star picked up the CYA in 1889 by posting 31 wins and 226 strikeouts, both career bests.

Black 34
Gray 225
HOFm 184.5
HOFs 38

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 11-12-2012 at 06:44 PM.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote