View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 02:43 AM   #6
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

1938 Class, Smiley

IRL, there was just one player, a pitcher (Pete Alexander), entered into the Hall in 1938.

I went through all the pitchers that the program had entered into the Hall looking for one with B/G and HoF M/S numbers above the averages of the players in the Hall, already. I went through them all and none did. I was quite surprised because a couple of players that were not screened before Burke was for the 1937 class are obviously deserving.

The next step was to randomize the list of all players on the spreadsheet, which included players the program had not enshrined. I then went through one by one to find one to enter.

If a player has been retired for less than 20 years he gets enshrined if any of the 4 metrics is above the average of those in the Hall already. Or if his B/G or Hof M/S ave is above the Hall average. This can happen when a player's numbers come close to the average of each individual standard but exceed neither.

A player retired for more than 20 years has a different and lower standard.

Players screened that have no number close to the average of any standard are removed from the list. Each time they get reviewed for a Hall class and they are not entered, they need to have better numbers or qualifying numbers in more categories to remain eligible.

------------

John Smiley was a player I thought would get in on his first look as a player the program put in the Hall. Yet, with 395 wins from 1882 to 1904, he did not have numbers above the Hall's average in the Black/Gray ink metric. The BG for pitchers is less valuable than for hitters, and is modified based on RL Hall averages.

Smiley had a 395-293 record. He was an All Star 7 times and won a WS. He also picked up a Gold Glove along the way.

His win total puts him 3rd all time behind inaugural inductee Charlie J Ferguson and Walter Johnson. After Smiley didn't reach the Hall on his first look, I thought for sure Johnson would be a shoe in, but he didn't reach the initial standard set for a computer inductee.

Smiley was a shoe in as a 'veteran' inductee, but his HoF Monitor number was higher than the Hall average, so I don't call him a Vet inductee. He reached by matching the threshold of the current Hall residents. However, this was the only number that he had which was higher than the Hall average. That was another shock to me. This shows how exceedingly dominant some of the previous inductees were.

Black Ink 32 (7)
Gray Ink 334 (56)
Hall of Fame Monitor 251.5 (22)
Hall of Fame Standards 61 (16)

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 09-13-2012 at 02:50 AM.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote