View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 12:23 PM   #37
BPS
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I believe this is true in the aggregate, but not player by player. I don't think each successive J.D. Martinez drags the performance for other Martinez down any more than it drags Babe Ruth down. It's just one more batter to share the total home run pool. It doesn't matter if it is the same player. Maybe that's what you meant, but I didn't understand it that way.
I was merely giving a concrete example (as JD Martinez is seen so frequently).

Any new JD Martinez drags down the performance of all other players with high HR ratings (and, of course, the HR performance of all other player too). As those playing PT bulk up with HR hitters, they are merely sharing a relatively set pool of HRs and each new big HR hitter is worth less than the previous ones in the game (and reduces the value of all other HR hitters).

Of course, exactly what is going on behind the scenes in OOTP/PT is not always clear. Some statistical output is exogenously determined while other is likely endogenously determined by the ratings of the player pool. And, who knows, perhaps PT does things a bit differently from how OOTP (non-PT) does things.
BPS is offline   Reply With Quote