Thread: Strangeverse
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 11:24 PM   #470
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2079 Season (4/10 – 4/12)

Montreal Wanderers (3-3, .500, t-2nd NL East) @ Miami United (3-3, .500, t-2nd NL East)
April in Miami feels like home even if it’s not quite home yet - temperatures in the mid-70s, a cool breeze, and warm enough to still wear shorts on the houseboat. Speaking of... it, the houseboat I mean, may be one of the best job perks I’ve ever had. A premium sound system with 5 TBs of music on its server, a stateroom finished in mahogany and oak, a spacious galley, and a spare bedroom to boot. The “Exhibit A”, as its previous owner christened it, will make a fine base of operations during my stay in Miami... especially given the fact that I’m a short 2 block walk away from the Twin Palms Bar & Laundromat. I have everything I need to make this area a perfect base of operations - premium sound, a place to fraternize while getting my laundry done, and a nice spot to rest my head. The only problem is that, unlike my LA Condo, I can’t walk to the park, so, I’m in the market for transportation and since I don’t have a driver’s license will need to find a reputable driving service to cut back on my Uber expense. But, enough about all that - we have some baseball on the itinerary, our first home game as a Miami based baseball club, and, with the Montreal Wanderers coming to town for a 3-game set we’ll have our work cut out for us if we hope to make a good first impression in the new park. Montreal entered the 2079 season with some lofty expectations - pegged as a likely playoff contender by the baseball punditry and with a staff that, on paper, looks to be as good as any and better than most, the Wanderers were preseason darlings. And while they haven’t necessarily started the season like they were shot out of a cannon (that honor has been bestowed on the Golden State Warriors), I expect that cribbing a win or two off of them will be an arduous task. One that, on the surface, we’re unlikely to be good for... but, mine is a club that isn’t afraid to get dirty, of dogged determination, and comprised of the type of talent that makes up their skill gap through balls-to-the-wall effort. I just need them to pull out all the stops and get game one added to the win column, you never get a second chance to make a first impression, and after that, we can crash back down to earth and play like the middling club we’re constructed to be.

Elvira will be in attendance, along with her bodyguard, and I’m told that Loretta’s Roller Derby outfit bought tickets at a group discount... we need to look good here, to show Ms. Hancock that her decision making is sound, and to make some inroads into getting Ms. Synn to make the move to Miami... hell, I already have an open-ended invite to try out with the Vice City Rollers secured for her and there are plenty of salons downtown that can keep her formerly red hair dyed black & blue.

7 of 162: Joseph Grace (1-0, 1.42) @ Cliff Slavinski (1-0, 4.32)
Loss, 3-0
. Losing our first home game was less than ideal. Getting shutout in our first home game was absolutely dreadful. Getting 1-hit, on a little blooper that got through the infield in the bottom of the 8th, was the only thing that saved us here – had we got no-hit I have no doubt that I would have been fired on the spot, chased out of town, and never allowed back into the state of Florida. Slavinski was just okay in 6 innings of work – or less so, really – he gave up 10 hits, 2 runs, and 2 walks during the contest. Our lone highlight came, as I previously stated, in the bottom of the 8th… Ethan Loy, our so-so third baseman, was named our unofficial player of the game here.

Elsewhere: The day was marked by phenomenal pitching… in addition to Joseph Grace’s 1-hitter for the Wanderers, Theodore Junkersfeld, of the Chicago Fire, threw a 2-hitter in a 3-0 win over the Green Bay Packers, and Cam Murphy, of the Brooklyn Citizens, threw a 3-hitter in a 1-0 loss against the St. Louis Rams. SP Cosmo Puente got the shutout in that last one – his only flaw? He gave up 5 hits for the game.

8 Of 162: Hudson Dorsch (1-0, 1.23) @ Radoslav Borovsky (0-1, 13.50)
Win, 4-3
. Okay, this is good – we will not be swept in our first-ever home series. We’ll take it. Radoslav went 5.1 with 7 K’s and 3 earned, Danny Switzer picked up his 2nd save of the season, and Donovan Taylor went 1 for 3 with a 2-run HR. Watanabe scored, Weaver drove one in, and we added three doubles as a team to go along with Taylor’s dinger… Good team effort here. Interesting side note: 1B Archie Imanov went 1 for 3 with 1 run scored for the game – which, if you were wondering, is interesting because the former Laker who spent 3 years in Seattle signed a 2-year contract with the San Marcos Supremos as a free agent in the offseason… a $21M contract, which was very quickly purchased by the Wanderers for $500K. That’s how you get paid with the quickness here in the Strangeverse… He gets a balloon payment for half of the $21M, with an extra $545K in salary from the Wanderers and gets to go through free agency again next season. Hustler.

9 of 162: Dylan Bauer (0-1, 4.26) @ Mirko Samsonenko (1-0, 3.86)
Win, 5-1
. Holy moly, Rocky! We’ve won our first ever series at home. If I’m being honest, and why wouldn’t I be, I thought we’d get swept here… instead, the nearly 28K fans that showed up witnessed history. History that will be quickly forgotten, but history, nonetheless. Mirko hucked a complete game 4-hitter and allowed a run, Watanabe went 1 for 4 with a triple, an RBI, and 2 runs, and Early Felger went 2 for 4 with two doubles and a run. Travis Scharmer stole his 4th bag, 2-out RBI for Rex, and a historic first home series win! Bring on the dancing bears!

the Portland Pioneers | the Los Angeles Leopards
pauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote