View Single Post
Old 12-01-2019, 12:18 PM   #17
ExeR
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrisrox View Post
As a result of this cap mismanagement their defense has four guys making less than a million and 1.5 star players at best.

I have it set to alert me when a three-star or better player hits waivers and it seems every October I have my pick of at least three three-star goalies, often freshly minted signings that will never play for the their teams. What it does is artificially lower the quality of goaltending league wide cause several teams have a better net minder in the AHL, that they can't afford, than they do in the NHL.
Well, at least you can fix it manually with comish mode .
On a more serious note, regarding fixing that, my suggestion would be to have pretty simple formula to avoid that situation. I know that organisation in general is more complicated, starters+prospects+different leagues etc. But for "starters only" good solution might be to tie AI manager's desire to sign players to his team's positional power ranking. It's calculated somewhere to show it to user, so why not use it for AI manager? Add their scouting capability as modifier, and have something like this:
Org status (rebuild/contender)*Power Ranking at position*Scouting capability to determine their power ranking
This will allow AI to avoid 3rd GK to already stacked lineup and go for much needed defender. So team that is contending, top 5 in GK, top 15 in defenders, top 10 in forwards will be doing their best to get best possible defender@cap they have left (maybe add conditions here to exclude situations of AI loading up on mediocre players that won't improve defenders power ranking but will eat cap in the future).
I guess it won't fix particular case with Tavares, but forwards are usually two positional, and if he's #4 while being quality player, team must be stacked at forwards. Might be exception with strong centers+weak wings, but this is solvable with further separation of positions to GK-LD-RD-LW-C-RW and having their own power rankings.
Rebuilding orgs won't be as eager to improve or go for quality over potential, while delusional orgs will make non-crucial mistakes. F.e. they overvalue their own talent and don't go for better player, undervalue their talent and clog their rotation with extra player to block prospect minutes, or they have owner who want to contend but don't have talent. So they will go for stars&overpay them w/o building team good enough to help star player achieve result.

Last edited by ExeR; 12-01-2019 at 12:22 PM.
ExeR is offline   Reply With Quote