Thread: Stats Only
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 07:10 PM   #261
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
Back OT here, does anyone know if Catchers have any impact on the pitchers perfromance? At the end of my current season I looked at the ERA of all the SP in my league that had over 100 IP and the average was 4.25. I eliminated the highest and lowest 10% that that brought it down to 3.98.

Then I looked at all the catchers who had over 400 PA (meaning it was more likely than not they caught most of each game they played) and their average CERA was 4.87. Once again I eliminated the highest and lowest 10% and that brought it down to 4.39.

That is a pretty big difference. If catching impacted pitching (as it does in real life) you'd think they would be a bit closer. Or am I thinking of this wrong?
What do the same stats look like in real life. Comparing them would be the only way to understand the significance.

Edit; You should not apply qualifiers to pitchers and catchers ERA and then suggest the results are significant. Use all pitchers and all catchers as they do in baseball reference. I realize that it might not be easy to get that info from OOTP.

Edit 2:

Duh I'm an idiot and you are wrong. Catcher ERA and Pitching ERA are identical. It's a zero sum game. Any catcher effect and it is disputable would be looking at individual catchers and comparing them to the league average ERA. Catchers on teams with good pitchers will generally look good. It is not a measure of catching influence these days.

Please Everyone, Stop Using Catcher ERA - Beyond the Box Score

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 01-06-2015 at 07:28 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote