View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 01:39 AM   #22
thehef
Hall Of Famer

I think the article did a great job of explaining why the reaction to Luck's retirement was so much different that the reaction to Sanders'. The writer notes important differences:

"To be sure, there are differences in the circumstances. Sanders retired with a fax and immediately took off for Europe; Luck held an emotional news conference, an opportunity to explain his decision. Sanders enjoyed a mostly healthy career; Luck battled an array of injuries and was facing another setback this summer. Sanders was notoriously enigmatic with the press; Luck, owner of a flip phone and a sponsor of book clubs, was a favorite of reporters."

This paragraph pretty much sums it up:

"Albom, in an email, wrote: “It’s true, today, I think all sportswriters are more sensitive to issues like concussions, quality of life, and are not surprised — and perhaps less judgmental — when NFL players decide enough is enough. In fact, a number have retired now, including Andrew Luck, at a younger age than Barry Sanders. It’s worth noting that Barry never suffered such injuries nor did he express concern for his health as a reason for his retirement. He just walked away. To this day, fans are unsure as to why. My column 20 years ago reflected how the city felt upon his sudden unexplained departure via a fax. I think the way Luck has done it leaves no question as to his reasons, and in my mind, warrants no criticism. Had Barry done it the same way, I believe most Detroiters would have accepted it immediately and celebrated him and his career.”"

It's a free country. Barry was free to handle his interactions with others and his retirement they way he did, just as Luck was free to handle his the way he did. Simply put, you reap what you sow.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote