Thread: Career dynasty
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #9
Margaret Garlick
Minors (Rookie Ball)

SHL Quarterfinals: All favourites win their first two games, then things got interesting. We gambled with dressing injured players and couldn't close out game 4 and 5 while Oskarshamn, Malmö and Rögle all got through unscathed. Then in game 6 we were all over them but could not score, eventually losing 10 minutes into overtime. Game 7 is intense, but the recovering Suomi puts us 2-1 up on the powerplay midway through the 2nd, and another powerplay goal by Näkyvä seals it. Sadly in the dying minutes, LW Önerud goes off with concussion, and might have had his career ended.

Semifinals against Oskarshamn. Without Önerud, I'm unable to come up with a combination that contributes points, and Armalis also lets his standards down with 13 GAA for a save percentage of .885. We crash and burn, are deservedly swept, while Rögle sweep Malmö in the other semifinal series.

Rögle become Swedish champions after beating Oskarshamn in a tense finals series in seven, three of the games go to overtime. Their goalie Petr Kváča came up with a .947 save percentage in the playoffs, to go with the .951 of Oskarshamn goalie Williamsson. I win the GM of the Year and Head Coach of the Year awards.

NHL: Edmonton had the best regular season record, with 58-23-1, while Tampa Bay dominated the West as Andriy Vasilevskiy grew into a top-class goalie, possibly the league's best. Tampa Bay continue to rampage through the play-offs, winning the first ten games, while Edmonton crash out to Chicago. Otherwise the play-offs are surprisingly uneventful, setting up an Lightning-Avalanche (#2 in the West) final. The Avs perhaps have the strongest skating line-up of the NHL right now, and saved Game 6 with an offense fest, but ultimately the goalies made the difference, Tampa Bay's Vasilevskiy being a little most consistent than the Avs' Antoine Bibeau.
Other tidbits: Sidney Crosby reached 1500 points and led Pittsburgh to 5th in the West.

Awards, Art Ross (Pts): Nathan McKinnon (COL, 60 G/60 A), Maurice Richard (Goals): Nathan McKinnon (COL), Vezina (GK): Connor Hellebuyck (WIN), Hart (regular season MVP): Connor McDavid (EDM), Connor Smythe (playoff MVP): Mikko Rantanen (COL, 29 assists in 22 playoff gamSs)

KHL: SKA St. Petersburg, led by G Freddie Andersen who has transferred from Toronto, keeps up the West's dominance by beating Salavat Yulaev Ufa in 6. A tense quarterfinal series with Dinamo Minsk, who knocked off the CSKA juggernaut, was the toughest.
Finland: Jukurit, the newest Liiga club, come from 10th in the regular season to win their first title, sweeping Helsinki IFK in the final.
Switzerland: Bern recover from a few lean years and a regular season 6th place to beat Zürich for the title. Last year's champions Lausanne miss the playoffs.
Czechia: Chaos in the playoffs but it's Mladá Boleslav who take advantage, beating Škoda Plzen in 6 games for the title.
Germany: Augsburger Panther win the title after being thereabouts for a while. They have a lot of players on expiring contracts so could be their last chance.

In international play, Netherlands secure promotion to II-A despite some bugs meaning I can't pick the preferred team. The last match against Israel is a nervy affair, but we take revenge for the U20 team's loss and win 2-1 in OT. With hosts Bulgaria surprisingly going down to New Zealand, we win with a 3-1-1 (1-0 OT) record and 11/15 points, RW Timmermans picking up MVP after contributing 4 goals and 3 assists. Taiwan go straight back down.

Higher up, Norway and Hungary get promoted back to the main World Championship, replacoing Belarus and Poland. Armalis picks up two wins for Lithuania who places 4th in Division I-B, where Croatia are relegated after refusing to give Rendulić ice time. LW Draisaitl leads Germany to third in their group, while a Canada team with McDavid, Crosby, Seguin and Huberdeau go down to USA in the group stage, setting up a quarter-final clash with Germany which they win 10-1. They squeaked through against Finland in overtime before playing USA off the ice to win the title, meanwhile defending champions Finland couldn't keep up the intensity in the third place play-off and lost to Sweden.

Linköping, Luleå and Växjö all appoint new coaches after missing the play-offs.

I'm tempted to extend Bouramman for a small pay rise, and despite the fact I couldn't give him enough ice time at the end of last season I suspect Näkyvä leaving will open things up for him. He's perfectly defensible on the 2nd pairing anyway. I expect to be able to concentrate the signings on a goalscoring winger and a goalie.

Retirements: F Dustin Brown (LAK, 37), F Jeff Carter (LAK, 37) F Sam Gagner (SJS, 32), G Henrik Lundqvist (NYR, 40), F Joe Pavelski (DAL, 37), F Kyle Okposo (LAK, 34), G Cory Schneider (NJ, 36)
Margaret Garlick is offline   Reply With Quote