View Single Post
Old 11-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #92
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

2052 end of season & postseason random notes

After finishing 96-66, we played the Mizzou YakAnglers in the WC Game. Had to overcome a less-than-stellar start by Vida Blue (3 IP, 5 R) to win the game 8-7.

Next up: Moline Maroons, who are probably going to win their 7th or so Perfect title later today...of course it won't be easy but they are a pretty good team. I just gave away the ending to the series...Anyway, here's how the Flyers lost in the postseason this year:

Game 1: Nice little comeback job in the 8th & 9th innings to steal game 1, 7-5. Seaver pitched 7 very nice innings and the bullpen barely did their job. The offense looked good so I decided to change it a little for game 2...

What followed can right now only be described as a sad...sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad series of events.

In Game 2, the Flyers took a 4-2 lead into the Bottom of the 8th inning at Moline's Field of Dreams, rather close to taking a 2-0 lead in the series...However, the Maroons would score 1 run in each the 8th & 9th innings to send the game into extra innings & ultimately finally get to reliever Pedro Martinez (97 Expos) in the Bottom of the 11th to win 5-4.

Game 3 in NY went into extra innings tied 2-2 … the Maroons finally broke the tie in the Bottom of the 13th as they touched up Rivera, Bob Gibson & Pedro again to win it 3-2.

Game 4 in NY was started by Roy Halladay. We had one last chance to send it to a game 5 in Moline which Seaver was scheduled to start. Halladay pitched pretty mediocrely, giving up 4 runs in 5 innings. The score was 4-0 going into the 6th inning. We managed to score 3 runs in the 6th & 7th innings but 4-3 would be the final.

These close ones are tougher sometimes than the ones where you get flat beat. Plus we're up to something like 17? playoff appearances in PL now with just the one Series appearance last season & no titles.

But I'm starting to get over it already I suppose. Aww, shucks, you know? Even though the series was mighty close, they won it.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote