Thread: Idle Thoughts
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 06:29 PM   #10
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
A random comment from someone got me thinking, "If I were to start a team from scratch and buy 100$ in points, how crazy of an offense could I build on a new team?"

So, here's the challenge: Build as good* of a team as you can on 175k PP. I'm going to throw some conditions too:
-Everyone has to be listed at their current (approximate) auction house price, so you can't be like "I'm buying Ruth for 25k". Not everyone has to be on the auction house right now, but you gotta at least be close at their sale price
-Everyone has to play at a position that they're listed for. So, you can use Bellinger at 1B or RF, but you can't play him at SS. Or even buy Jackie Robinson to play SS, even if he could train up there.
-You're only buying your starting lineup, so 9 guys. I'll give you bonus credit if you don't spend all the 175 and have enough left over to buy some pitching or utility guys, but I'm not worried about that here
-You also get bonus points if your players have some sort of defense. While the focus is on creating offense, and you're more than welcome to run out Carew at 2B, you're gonna be a better team if you have a LeMahieu or a Robinson playing up the middle if you can afford them.

Enjoy! I'll post mine later
I love this thought experiment. Team building like this is the strength of this game mode, one that I hope tournaments will reinvigorate as they provide an outlet for more than the one linear path to team building per account we're now normally accorded.

I don't necessarily agree with the limitations of sticking with rated defensive positions and only a starting 9, as I believe both are ways to effectively exploit market inequities that help meet the objectives of this experiment. While this will prevent me from reusing some players from my own Mustangs team (such as non-SE Cedeno in LF or a future 2B platoon of my current 1B and 3B - Perfect Joe Morgan and Peak Barry Larkin respectively), it doesn't negate the value or the attractiveness of the exercise. If anything, it will help me further analyze my team, the Mustangs, who took this exact approach to team building and see how successful I actually was with it.

I'll post my theoretical team here later in a separate post once I'm able to do the due diligence that this exercise deserves

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team

Last edited by Dogberry99; 10-28-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote