View Single Post
Old 01-05-2020, 09:09 PM   #2
Ruwisc
All Star Reserve

This is a totally normal MLB+minors setup in the modern era, except:

- 30 new expansion teams have been added

Well yeah, that's a pretty major change, but it's not all.

- Eight teams from each league make the playoffs - five division winners plus 3 wild cards, seeded directly as 1-8 by record alone. First round is best-of-5, while subsequent rounds are all best-of-7.
- this league was actually started from scratch, not as a continuation from MLB, so the Hall of Fame is empty and the records are all new. I'll get into some of those records as I cover the league history.
- sharp-eyed readers will have noticed that the Houston Astros have been returned to the National League, and the Colorado Rockies are now in the American League in their place. As a native of St. Louis growing up in the 90s, I view the Astros and Brewers as teams that both belong in the National League, and Colorado I have fewer opinions on but as a team with relatively little history and a stadium situation that would theoretically welcome the DH, it's as good a choice as any.
- the schedule is unconventional, with the entire thing being made up of 2-game series. The reason for this is primarily to make sure that every team makes a visit to every opponent in their league every year. 4 games are played against non-division opponents, 8 against division opponents, and interleague has been slightly expanded to 24 games per team instead of the normal 20.
- as such, each team plays 3 two-game series per week. I'm gonna probably start out posting in a weekly sort of format, so you'll see three opponents at a time.
- in total, the schedule has been shortened from 162 games to 160. I like 162, but when all your series are two games long it's easier to play an even number of games both home and away, so 80/80 beats 81/81. I wrote the schedule file myself, and I've made a post about it in the Schedules forum if anyone's interested in copying this league.
- each team has just 4 minor league affiliates: AAA, AA, A and R. A bunch of teams have been shuffled around between levels.

All other rules are the same, I think. Next post will cover the history of this league so far!

Last edited by Ruwisc; 01-05-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Ruwisc is offline   Reply With Quote