View Single Post
Old 03-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #40
Hadehariast
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
What I said: OOTP is good (no question here), as are other great games out there. We will work in our own ideas, take whatever makes sense from OOTP and combine it with ideas from other games around (e.g. FM, one of my favorite games in the world).

The only thing I want people to understand is that fictional play is something only a very minor group of people uses. They are important to us and we will add to that mode with every new version but we have only limited resources and of course we have to use the majority of time for stuff that the majority of user wants.
Sebastian, I'm very happy to see you post what you've posted. My Wish #1 was "Do not make this into a hockey clone of OOTP!" and I'm glad to see you're considering ideas from the likes of Football Manager (which is the superior sports management sim, even if latest versions have been rather "meh" by comparison to the good ole' days of FM2010 and FM07). I think that FHM should focus on being a sports management game, rather than a sports simulation game. Simulating results is probably the least interesting aspect of any sports sim, so focus should be on fleshing out the off-ice features of the game.

Wish #2: Assistant GM
Features: Essentially, a minion to offload a lot of your grunt work to. Depth chart of your own team; depth chart of all teams in the league; minor league affiliate report (player X should be promoted, player Y should be demoted); trade target finder (give parameters for what type of player you want, AGM populates a list for you).

Wish #3: Director of Player Personnel
Features: If the player chooses to enable this option, this person directs all scouting efforts around the world (the idea is that this is the "realistic" solution for people who don't want to spend time scouting, rather than just a button-click at the bottom of the window). The DPP automatically assigns scouts to regions and leagues, and is largely responsible for collecting and presenting scout reports to the GM. The DPP can be provided with general parameters (scout only players of certain age range, focus on amateur scouting, focus on professional leagues, etc) to guide them. This person should also be able to present a new type of report to the GM-- the "over/under-rated report" would give the GM better insight into which players are better or worse than their current attributes might show.

Wish #4: Customizable and saveable columns for rosters/reports/drafts. This one is a definite must-have.

Wish #5: Keep the scouting system as a whole, but make improvements to how regions are handled (and fix the lack of scouts for Quebec). For the love of god, don't implement the horrible "e-z mode" scouting that OOTP has. It's one of the worst and laziest aspects of that game, and following the FM model of actually having scouts with specializations and knowledge is a far more interesting way to go. Having one 'scouting director' who miraculously has knowledge of every baseball player on the planet and an accurate view of his mental attributes is absolutely ludicrous, so please don't go down that path.

Wish #6: Add a "Ability to Sign" category to the scout report for each player-- I expanded on this in this thread, and I think it would add a lot of realism to the 'Russian factor' aspect of drafting.
Hadehariast is offline   Reply With Quote