View Single Post
Old 12-17-2019, 05:59 PM   #33
ExeR
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
Further, you also have just about every advanced Statistic you can choose to use by sorting by Advanced Stats in your roster screen.
I wrote about it in other posts, although those ended up being quite long. But still, even ratio stats or goalie activity (skating, puckhandling, passing) seem like obvious candidates to be added. Or foul/penalty drawn stats. I would also support suggestion about post match analysis, heatmaps and action maps are very useful tool to quickly understand if the tactic is working as intended.
This is important for next point I wanted to bring: presentation and user friendliness of tactic menu. I know that it's much easier for long time fans to understand the options, but even that doesn't help in some cases. Some names are different and you can't even find tactic using them in search engines. Even if you get hockey plays and strategies book, it has different names.
PP/PK tactics are mixed in one pool, even though some assymetrical ones(1 wing press, 1 wing retreats) can't be run in 3-on-5. Same with PP.
Two vertical columns where you choose options just scream for being reworked into column+animation. Would be much easier to intuitively understand what tactic it is, and what it does. Tactic sites have animations or just scheme pictures, even that can be better than just text.
Also problem with text, that even though it informs you on important things, it has to be short and it's not always done optimally. To stay on PP/PK topic: different options ask for different skills, center is either static screener with no need for range or he can be behind the net playmaker that won't need physicality at all. Same with wings. Sometimes there are "weak/strong vs" for uneven strength lineups too, press PK options are much better vs shooting defenders with mediocre pass&read and vice versa.
Maybe changing block uptop (Offense, Defense, Speed, Toughness, Skill) might be useful for previous paragraph. There's no need for most of this in 5vs4 and offense is obvious too, since you get your best players in there (except for C in regards to faceoffs&screening). So adding range, skating&puckhandling, read&pass for PP will bring much more usefull information. Right now it travels from even strength, and so do tactical options from 4-on-5 to 3-on-5. PK works same way, change it to checking, def read, positioning, blocking shots&bravery, speed&stickchecking for pressing/switching options. You won't need toughness/hitting here, so no need to keep it in, even if you're defending.
As for Game Ratings, I provided example for GK, and I feel there are many other roles or circumstances that get mistreated by GR. 3rd line aiming to keep in even in +/- or minimize minus gets no love for their effort. Especially forwards. Defenders get all time scores while their shift buddies are at below 60. I don't want to bad mouth for the sake of it, but let's say top15 defender (by custom rating), and top15 defensive center playing together with proper roles won't both have sameish ratings. And it's not that center is so great, other team just pass it to forwards and your defender gets positive actions. Then it should work some way the other way around, but it doesn't. I don't know enough about GR and how it functions in terms of isolation/correlation with other factors, but even freak created player can't get high DR w/o help of insane blocked shots numbers.Perhaps changing criteria for forwards, since their impact can't be that significant. Because I got Hagelin top5+ in defensive rating, and put him in pressing schemes and it didn't work that well at all. Even though there's not counter for what he does from the side of opposing defenders (who he presses/forces). If he makes forced pass and defender gets resulting action, he should get some love too. I don't know if engine/GR goes to these depths, but at least that would be my guess to question why that happens. I saw that in other managers/sports too. On offense risky playmakers take all the turnover/giveaways on themselves, to make it easier for other more simple players to benefit from simpler plays they're now required to do. So while individual numbers of playmaker increase, giveaway numbers of all other players decrease and team wins on average as a result. But I haven't mentioned that increase or correlation. Defenders do well regardless, while forwards struggle and don't get enough boost from other player or indirect contributions.
ExeR is offline   Reply With Quote