View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 02:08 AM   #817
Palaaemon
Minors (Triple A)

Continuing thoughts on players conversations

Bird,

After looking over the player info you posted and reading your thoughts I have considered a few things. I am still solid on Chad Brown and Harry Lyerly, they should be traded. After scouting Jonathan Koch I feel that even if he does "bounce" back this year like I had hoped he would in the second half, he may not have his power. He looks to be declining in the power department and with his increase in errors (may not be all his fault) you may want to sell high as it were. Jonathan is not unique and could be replaced fairly easily. Ryan Rodgers is a similar story (not referring to whether unique or not). I think he will "bounce" here and there the rest of the season, maybe even get back to a respectable Ryan season. It appears that perhaps he also may be declining in the gap power department. I noticed that in 42 GP he has 4 doubles, 0 triples and 0 home runs (not that he really hits home runs). This year he has become a singles hitting, power walking, never K-ing, $390,000/year, nearly 37 year old, 5 star, very good defensive corner outfielder. I believe that perhaps the play here is continue to play him hoping he will catch fire and improve thereby increasing his trade value before he REALLY begins to decline, which I believe will be next season if not sooner.

This next subject is near and dear to your heart. RodRod. I am concerned about him being a full-time third baseman. Offensively he is good, but defensively his glove has a hole in it. I am suggesting perhaps using him off the bench where his glove will not harm the team as much (does he play other positions?) All these errors have to be costing you games (not just his, everyones). I truly believe if you shore up the infield and with Bobby coming back everything will improve. Now if you can get a top-of-the-line shortstop with elite defense, good or better speed and hitting and who is hopefully durable. He really needs to be reliable then perhaps he can cover for RodRod.

The next subject is near and dear to MY heart. Bobby Erkaban. When does he come off the IL? How long are you sending him for rehab? I have this feeling that when he gets back he is going to start putting it together. I know that he is NOT happy that he is injured and cannot help his teammates through this rough time. He is pissed that he has not performed the way he expected too coming into this year after his previous exceptional campaign. He cannot wait to get back out on the diamond with his boys and put a hurting on the ball, but he knows patience is the key in this situation. Heal the injury, rehab, THEN back to the action!

So my suggestion, trade Chad Brown, Harry Lyerly and Jonathan Koch. Work to improve Ryan Rodgers and trade him before the deadline. Forget about the trading for relief pitcher unless you find one that will work. Trade needs: Top-of-the-line Shortstop, very good Second Baseman great-elite defense and good+ hitting. Perhaps a corner outfielder if you need one. Not sure where you stand now and where you will stand after Ryan would be traded.

Keep in mind all this is thoughts and suggestions for you. A "what would I do if I were in your shoes"? experiment. Hopefully it all makes sense. I know that we agree on some of it already, but there is more fat to chew here as it were. Let me know what you think.

Have a Great night!

Palaaemon

Last edited by Palaaemon; 12-13-2019 at 02:35 AM.
Palaaemon is offline   Reply With Quote