View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 09:21 PM   #11
MightyVotto
Minors (Double A)

May 26 - June 2, 1952: Shutouts and No-Hitters for Everyone!

Week Results
Record: 4-1
1-0 vs Boston
1-0 vs Washington
2-1 vs Philadelphia
Total Record: 22-13 .629
1st Place AL East

Mantle Performance Overview
The Mick stepped back a bit this week. He hit .188/.409/.250 with a .659 OPS. He had 1 2B and 3 RBIs. A quiet week certainly, but he did get on base regularly with 6 walks. Still productive.

Team Performance Overview
The highlight this week was the back-to-back shutouts thrown by Allie Reynolds and Eddie Lopat on Monday and Tuesday.

Reynolds shutout was nearly a no-hitter. He held the Red Sox hitless to the 9th inning. It's the deepest potential no-hitter I've seen play out in the game for quite some time. I did see Lefty Gomez pitch a perfect game once in a previous historical replay a few years ago. It can be almost as exciting as actually watching one for real. Reynolds got the first out in the 9th. The Red Sox put a rookie named Dick Gernert in to pinch-hit. He hit a single to right. The 3d actually made it look like the ball might be caught by Hank Bauer, though. However, it fell just in front of him. 2 outs away from a no-hitter. Disappointed, but it was exciting.

Lopat pitched his 2nd consecutive shutout. He's definitely doing better after his 5 start losing streak to start the season.

The Yankees then were shutout by Alex Kellner of the A's.

The bats did explode for the final game of the week. They destroyed the A's 26-6 in the 2nd game of the double-header on Friday. They've scored a run in every inning but the 8th. Everyone in the lineup got at least 1 hit, 1 run, and 1 RBI. Gil McDougald went 5-6 with 3 RBI and 1 HR. It just seemed like every pitcher the A's sent to the mound had absolutely nothing. I kinda felt bad, but then I didn't.

League Notes
Nellie Fox's hit streak came to an end. The St. Louis Browns stopped his streak at 48 on May 28th. It's the longest hit streak in this alternate replay. The previous record had been 39.

Two no-hitters were thrown this week by Vinegar Bend Mizell (STL) and Billy Loes (BRO). 1918 is the only season in this replay so far in which 4 no-hitters have occurred. There have been 3 already this season. I always find it a little deflating when a bunch of no-hitters or cycles occur really close together. As long as it's just a strange quirk, that's fine. If it gets unrealistically ridiculous, I start to think there's something wrong.

There were a glut of shutouts in the league the last couple of weeks as well. This made me concerned something weird was going on in the background. Then, the Yankees exploded for 26 in that one game.

George Kell (DET) was the AL Player of the Week. He hit .412 with 2 HRs and 5 RBIs. It was the 5th time he's won the award. He last won it in August 1950.

Granny Hamner (PHI) was the NL Player of the Week. He hit .364 with 3 HRs and 11 RBIs. It's the 2nd time he's won the award. He last won it in May 1950.

Up Next
We'll kick-off the month of June with a full week of games. The Indians visit Yankee Stadium for just one game on Monday. Then, the White Sox storm the gates for 3 from Tuesday through Thursday. The St. Louis Browns and their strange martian mascot float into town for 4 Friday through Sunday.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
MightyVotto is offline   Reply With Quote