View Single Post
Old 02-26-2019, 11:09 PM   #40
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Yanks giving Hicks a 7-year extension has got to be a sign of something. Boone called him "maybe the most underrated player in the game" but 7 years at age 29? It looks like Cashman is using the cash, man, that he saved on not splurging on Machado and Harper to shore up what he's got. I can't say that I disagree, even though the length of the contract has me a bit concerned. At least it's not 10 years.

They just signed Severino to a four-year deal at the same $10 million a year (I would have swapped the contract durations for these two players) and the article that I read speculated that the Yankees would look to be doing the same with Gregorius and maybe even Judge and Sanchez; i.e., signing them to good contracts before they even get out of arbitration, much less into free agency.

Looks like they think they have a good, young team on their hands and they want to lock it in rather than gamble on outsiders. If so, I like this idea.

I agree that seven years is a pinch too long for Hicks. I genuinely like Hicks and I agree wholeheartedly with Cashman about him being underrated. However, I would've thought that 5 years would have been the sweet spot with Hicks in terms of locking him up long term, especially considering his recent history of injuries.

That said, I have no problem with what Cashman is doing right now. The Yanks have traditionally avoided the tactic of locking up young (or in the case of Hicks, strictly), arbitration eligible players to long-term deals. I've always been baffled by this. Why pay more for a player down the road who factors prominently into your long-term plans?

At any rate, kudos to Cash for this & the Severino deal. I'd like to see them lock up The Judge as well for the next 6-7 years.

Last edited by Caporegime; 02-26-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Caporegime is offline   Reply With Quote