View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 05:41 AM   #3
DFyvie
Major Leagues

So I thought I would take up the challenge and manage the A's. I'm a Mets' fan but this season they're pretty stacked so the challenge is not what it has been in recent years.

So um.. the A's. Wow! Where to begin? Decent rotation and bullpen. That lineup and the financial situation are pretty dire. There's not a lot of bat help in the minors either. You have 3 bats in the minors that could yield something in at least a year (Schrock, Barreto, and Chapman). Matt Olson could be added to that list (could be a good replacement of Alonso in 2018). But um.. yeah.

I think I'll keep the team as is until at least June so that I know what type of team I have (probably not a winning side).
Guys to move at the deadline:
Sonny Grey if you want to get existential. He's amazing and has 2 more years of arb which is worth a lot. But what's the point of living after you trade him? I would say the same about Manea and Gravemen. Moving them would get you something but keeping them would probably be worth more to the club (unless the rest of your rotation is doing better than expected and you could get a great position player to build your lineup around).

As pitching seems to be the team's strongest asset, I would make one move early and that would be to upgrade the Catching position. Phegley and Vogt are supposedly plus hitters (supposed to be I guess). But neither are really that good at the plate and neither seem to have a high 'Catcher Ability' rating. Move one or both and get a Catcher who can improve/amplify your pitching.

I'll let you know how I get on.
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote