Old 09-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #21
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
I vote for a DH compromise.

Tango: Four hybrid DH solutions (vote) - Stats & Info Blog - ESPN

I personally love Solution 3: My Bodyguard

"An offshoot to Solution 2: As long as the starting pitcher remains in the game, so does his DH. Once the starter comes out of the game, so does the DH. In short, the DH becomes a pitcher's personal batter. If the starter is pulled for a reliever, the manager can pair a new DH for that reliever. But since relievers rarely come to bat more than once, this DH would become a de facto pinch hitter."

Compromise on the Designated Hitter - Beyond the Box Score
I'm a fan of these compromise solutions too. My predicton is come 2023 (the DH's 50 year anniversary), MLB will adopt a hybrid compromise solution:

the SP-only DH.

With it the DH is in effect for the SP, just like the AL now, but once the SP is taken out the DH must be either double-switched or taken out as well. After that, the relievers can bat for themselves (which likely won't happen, but can if you don't want to deplete your bench) or you can have pinch hitters bat for them, just like the NL now. This way fans of the DH don't have to watch bad pitchers hit yet anti-DH fans still get their increase in late inning moves. And maybe more importantly, you get the increased offense that drive ratings/revenue while you lessen the risk of those precious SPs from injuring themselves. Yes, it doesn't solve everyone's problems with the DH like the "nine men field, the same nine men should hit" argument, but it's a compromise that in the end will I think be palatable to both camps.

EDIT: You can read more about this solution at BeyondTheBoxscore.

Last edited by kq76; 03-18-2016 at 05:56 AM.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote