View Single Post
Old 06-02-2006, 02:08 PM   #6
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

The play by play seems misleading to me an awful lot. I can never tell what's going to happen based on what the "announcer" is saying until the end. For instance, there are tons of times when he'll say:

"Hammered to deep center...
Jones is right there...
he'll put it away."

I always think it's a HR or at least a chance that it's a hit, since it says hammered, but I've yet to see a ball that was "hammered" be anything but an out in 10-15 games, where I usually have seen it once or more per game. Same thing with "crushed." I get those a lot, and they end up being routine flyballs.

Likewise, I'll often get things like:

"Popped to center field...
that's in for a hit."

When I see popped to center, I figure it's a routine play.

Also, with a guy on first, I'll get this one extremely often:

"Grounded to short...
routine double play ball...
tosses to second for one...
he throws to first...
here's the call....
SAFE!"

I mean, you hear real announcers say, "could be two" or "should be two" and be wrong occasionally, but usually if it's an "easy" double play ball the guy doesn't have much of a chance of beating the relay at first if they play it right. I usually get that one a few times a game.

I don't mean to put down the text team-you guys did a great job considering how difficult a job it was, and I'm not sure whether it's a matter of the game taking the wrong calls for plays or something, but the PBP has frustrated me a bit because of things like those.

Last edited by Ruthian23; 06-02-2006 at 02:10 PM.
Ruthian23 is offline   Reply With Quote