View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 02:10 AM   #9
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Sharks arrive for inaugural training camp
9/11/1991 12.05 PST

The NHL’s newest team began it’s long journey to respectability today as the San Jose Sharks opened their very first Training Camp.

Amongst the throng of reporters were several players, young and old, preparing themselves to do battle with each other, and eventually real opponents, when the pre-season begins later this month.

“We’re here and ready to work.” Said newly acquired sniper Stephane Richer. “I like training camp. It’s always an exciting time.” The right winger will be counted on to deliver on his rap sheet of two 50 goal seasons and a Stanley Cup to boot.

Leading starting goalie candidate Glenn Healy was more philosophical. “Training camp is more about intensity than anything else. It doesn’t really get hard mentally until you start facing real opposition. Then it gets challenging.”

All-star veteran Peter Stastny was soaking up the atmosphere. “I’ve been around for a long time and am used to moving to somewhere new. It’s actually a wonderful experience, meeting new friends.”

The gravity of the occasion hit rookie defensemen, and the franchise’s first overall pick, Scott Niedermayer like a ton of hockey pucks. “It’s my first training camp. I’m not sure I belong here. (Gerald Diduck) told me that it’s normal to feel that way, but it’s still terrifying”.

It was a first for Coach and General Manager Dave Fyvie too. “Scott’s not the only rookie here. I think we’ll be leaning on each other quite a bit here in the beginning. Even if it’s just someone reminding (me) which way the bathroom is.”

The Sharks training camp, open to the public every morning, will put all the players through their paces. The morning skates will showcase the coach’s various line combinations along with various tactics. Every afternoon the team breaks up and hits the gym and video room for off-ice instruction and workshop various situations.

Pictured: Gerald Diduck
Attached Images
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote