View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #8
DFyvie
Major Leagues

Sharks first trade nets 50 goal scorer
7/23/1991 14.55 PST

The San Jose Sharks have acquired 25 year old right winger Stephane Richer from the Montreal Canadiens for Defenseman Tommy Sjodin, former Canadien prospect Tom Chorske and a 7th round pick. Also included from Montreal with Richer is prospect defender Sean Hill.

Eager to land a bonafide goalscorer, GM Fyvie contacted Montreal and offered to return a prospect he selected from Montreal earlier in the month. “I knew they took a risk leaving Chorske unprotected (in the expansion draft) and I offered to return him.. for a price”.

Stephane Richer (pictured bottom left), a 2 time 50 goal scorer, brings a suitcase of valuable tools to San Jose. “He’s big. He can score, skate and drive to the net. He’s everything you want in a top line winger” added Fyvie.

With the roster close to completion for the start of the pre-season in September, many suspect Richer will find his spot alongside fellow former Canadiens Lebeau (pictured bottom right) and Gilchrist.

“We like Richer’s familiarity with some of the other players, for sure”. Said Fyvie of Richer’s potential chemistry. “He would pair up nicely with Lebeau. They suit each other.”

Stephane Richer was not available for comment, but his future potential line-mate was happy to talk.

“I would love to centre Stephane”. Added Lebeau who was in San Jose looking for a new apartment. “We’ve spoke on the phone briefly and he’s looking forward to coming this week to check things out.”

21 year old Sean Hill, also coming from Montreal, has yet to crack an NHL roster but was shocked at the trade. “You’re just a prospect, working in the minors and pick up the phone to hear you’ve been moved along with a top line player. It’s crazy!”

The Duluth native brings a strong two-way game, but at just 21, may have to wait awhile before he can showcase it in the NHL. “I like to hit people, defend the net and I’m a big fan of sending clappers to the net on the powerplay.”

This was the first trade of San Jose’s short history.

Pre-season hockey begins September 19 with the regular season starting October 3. Tickets are still available but going fast.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by DFyvie; 10-09-2018 at 06:10 PM.
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote