View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #66
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Carnegie Field, home of the Pittsburgh Flying Shearmen

Quote:
Carnegie Field is the oldest stadium in all of baseball, which opened in time for the Flying Shearmen’s inaugural season in 1925. The jut in left field used to be farther out, but the wall was shortended to take the flag pole out of play in 1968. The pole was only hit once, but was infamously known for when Knights center fielder Martin MacDonald collided with the pole in 1967 and sustained serious injuries. MacDonald survived, but was not expected to walk again, but he became a living miracle as he not only walked but made a return to baseball. MacDonald rose as far as the Triple-A level in the Knights’ system before ultimately retiring from baseball. Carnegie has a large section in the outfield with no seats, spanning from MacDonald’s Porch, as it is infamously known, to the right center gap. An ivy wall runs that entire distance behind the outfield fence and serves as a massive batter’s eye with a concourse running behind it and a bleacher section over the top in center field. Carnegie Field is one of the few ballparks left to have an off-kilter backstop behind the plate. The field also has a lot of excess dirt--from the dugouts to the home plate circle, a classic USBL look; a cutout from the plate to the pitcher’s mound; small half-moons outside first and third base; and dirt going down the foul lines. The line is on grass, making it an easy call for the umpires.
Obstructed view seats, anyone? I went very old-school on this park, with no luxury boxes or digital scoreboards - the board in center field is basically taken from Shibe Park / Connie Mack Stadium, edited slightly to fit the USBL. The whitewashed exterior brick is influenced by my childhood memories of Comiskey Park.

Am I then only person who thinks the 3D crowd is pretty freaky looking up close?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1opj8r...Field.zip/file
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image