View Single Post
Old 06-30-2019, 07:25 PM   #1910
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

TBCB Photos Fighters Debuting 1930 to 1939 Rating

Been off line a bit deciding what next to do after finishing that 1948 Tournament and then was gone on vacation. I was looking around the Photos thread to look up some photos of fighters from this time period and came up with the thought of looking at some of the photo postings to see if there we any needing rated or least I don't have a rating for.

I looked at the end of the 1930-1939 debuting period and first one of the shoot, here is Russ Wasser who's photo was posted by Waltercito.

Russ Wasser - LHW / HW - USA
Career Record: W34(KO 23) / L15(KO 3) / D2

Unknown information has been left blank.

Birth name: Russell Emil Wasser. Fought as Russ Schultz or Schulz.

Fought 1934 thru early 1935 fight with Barney McLaughlin as a light heavyweight. After that starting in August 1935 against Max Marek appears moved up to the heavyweights. Created a LHW and HW rating for Russ.

LHW record W11(KO 8) / L4(KO 0) / D1
HW record W23(KO 15) / L11(KO 3) / D1

Notable fights as a LHW were a 6 round draw and 6 round points loss to Lee Savold and three 6 round decision losses to Larry Udell (LHW with a 36-17-5, 24 KO Record). As heavyweights, Wasser and Savold fought again in Dec 1935 with Savold winning a 5 round decision. Interesting background on this fight noted in the BoxRec listing of Wasser's record... "Minneapolis "one-night" version of heavyweight "white hope" tournaments that were being held around the country as a reaction to Joe Louis' ascendancy. By defeating Schulz in the feature card of the evening, Savold became the Class A titlist on a 21-bout card that included 9 knockouts. The tournament featured three classes: A, B, and C. Information from the Duluth Herald".

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/2895..._wasser_boxer/ this website link carries a copy of a newspaper article from the May 15, 1938 Minneapolis Tribune giving an account of Wasser's 10 round decision victory over Harry Thomas.
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Wasser_Russ_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (3.2 KB, 59 views)
Rocco Del Sesto is offline   Reply With Quote