View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 02:26 PM   #14
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Gold packs are horrendous in any scenario. You want as many chances of a big pull as possible and with gold packs you get 5x fewer. It is way better to have 25-50 regular packs to build a packs only team

In a vacuum, you are right but I think there are scenarios where gold packs are useful, sort of like how sac bunt can be useful in some situations or for a example from another sport, midrange jumper is not always a bad shot. Essentially, gold packs provide consistency over a short term or a lower amount of PP over normal pack.

If I am a P2P pack only team who can afford 100 normal packs right away. Then yeah, go for that.

For F2P, I think we have to look at things differently. I have 3 F2P pack-only teams in PT19 and I have done both gold-for-foundation and all-normal. My worst is a .450-.480 caliber team at bronze right now, I still do all-normal though cuz I don't care but I am quite positive I can get further with gold pack in this instance.

Here's how I look at it, 1 gold pack vs 5 normal pack, I am essentially trading 24/50(48% for a gold), 25/150(16.67% for a diamond), 25/1000(2.5% for a perfect) for a guaranteed gold. The % certainly sounds tempting and solid, but it can certainly whiff at times. My team only gets about 3-4K per season in most case. Now I have to factor if I want a guaranteed upgrade per season or if I don't mind to play the long game. If I want a guaranteed upgrade per season with almost no chance of whiffing, gold pack doesn't sound too bad. My team can benefit from almost all Gold as a low tier bronze team and be a better team next season or I could have a chance to all whiff on those packs and get a lot of low silver or bronze and be the same mediocre team next season. Of course, I could hit the jackpot and rise even further, but one keyword is consistency. If I am all for consistency in this scenario, gold pack doesn't sound so bad. 1 gold player per season doesn't seem that bad of a deal for a F2P pack-only team lacking any gold+ cards.

Considering the team above, gold pack and guaranteed upgrade also means that my income should theoretically increase with the gold player. I could be slowly raising to 4-5k, then maybe 4-6k and so on. My other teams who did well in bronze can get like 7K+ to 10K if lucky in a season. If I bank on pack and I whiff them, I have to factor in that my gambling on normal pack actually affect my future PP income rate as a F2P pack-only team. Gold pack not only provide me with consistency on roster upgrade, it also provide me with consistency on income, which gambling on normal pack will not. Never underestimate the snowball effect.

Also considering the team above, let's say I have average luck on the pack. Over 25 packs I get 2.4 gold, 0.8 diamond and 0.125 perfect. Let's say I get 2 gold and 1 diamond out of them VS 5 gold from gold pack. I am not so sure if the 2 gold + 1 diamond can provide more WAR to me than 5 golds in that period. If I have slightly bad luck and only get 2 gold, then that's 2 gold vs 5 gold producing for me over 5 seasons.

With all the consideration above, I don't think gold packs are are horrendous in any scenario, they have their value in a certain circumstance.
Goliathus is offline   Reply With Quote