View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 02:36 PM   #46
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
Thanks for that information. That might help explain why the league altered the schedule in the first place.

The schedules I post here are always the ones that were published in the pre-season, so they don't account for any changes that might have occurred afterwards.
I forget where I first read it, but for the 1934 and 1935 PCL seasons Los Angeles was doing so well that the league decided to split the season and revise the schedule to try and keep fan interest up. In the case of 1934 it didn't help in that LA was so good that season it dominated the second half as well. In 1935 the Angels faltered in the second half and San Francisco finished in first (and won the playoff).

I have text files of the revised 1934 and 1935 PCL schedules. (The 1935 file appears strangely incomplete, however. I could have sworn I finished it, but it seems I might not have.)

Other minor leagues have also split the season into halves while the season was in progress due to a club doing very well, though usually this did not involve changing the schedule. It's also happened when clubs have dropped out of a league—the season is split at that point so as to create a fairer competition for the remainder of the season. (Naturally, if clubs fold schedule revisions are sometimes required.)
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote