View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 05:30 PM   #14
sbrylski
Major Leagues

In 1675 BCE, we founded our third city, Camulodunon, meaning "the Fortress of Camulos". (Camulos is our pagan god of war, analogous to the Roman god Mars.) Unlike Durnovaria, this city was built with a specific purpose. Our scouts had reported an abundance of copper in the hills west of Bibracte, and our resident redsmiths have perfected methods to create powerful axes and spears from the material. With a growing military threat in the form of wandering barbarians, we must build a army capable of withstanding an attack, and eventually fighting back.

Camulodunon and Bibrate, 1675 BCE

The city and surrounding area will take a while to start producing axe-wielding Gaelic Warriors, as we'll need to establish the city's food source (clams again, we have an insatiable appetite for clams it seems) and construct a barracks, as well as build the mine and roads in the surrounding areas to extract and transport the necessary copper. So for now, Bibracte is training a large archer force to strictly defend our three settlements. Note that our first small town has also popped up along the beginning of the river.

(As an aside to other Civilization veterans, I realize building Camulodunon one square southwest of where I actually built it would make for a much better city. However, I've dot-mapped out my region and needed to sacrifice slightly one spot in order to squeeze in another city into my plans. This move is also one of those aesthetic/preference decisions I hinted at allowing myself to make in the lead post.)

With our third city established and the foundations of our nation laid, I'm going to pick up the pace slightly with these pre-baseball posts. Important events, constructions, and general updates will definitely still be posted, but often grouped together, for at the current pace this thread might be ten pages or more before there's a wiff of baseball. Not to say that the Civilization side of this dynasty isn't an equal part of its construction, but this is a baseball forum after all.

Last edited by sbrylski; 10-20-2009 at 02:15 AM.
sbrylski is offline   Reply With Quote