View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 06:13 PM   #11
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
I don't know why you exclude soccer and hockey -- which are probably the two most exciting sports to watch either live or on TV. They both have continuous action with less insufferable commercial breaks
I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But many of us would agree soccer is more "continuous". But "action" is stretching it. Some of us find 30 or so fake ankle injuries eye roll inducing. And sitting through 90 minutes to spy the only 10 actual real scoring chances a reason to turn the channel.

As far as the OT.......I said the same things earlier this year when talking about how sabermetrics has inadvertently ruined the game. If the new approach really is the way to victory, then baseball does indeed have a problem. If Elvis way back when described baseball as a "whole lot of nothin' goes on", how do you think this instant gratification-raised generation views the current game?

I'll give an example. My mom. She gave me my love of sports. She is a baseball fan first and foremost. She loved the game before every game was televised. She dreamed of being Pee Wee Reese. She waited still while listening to Red Barber call the Brooklyn Dodgers on the radio. And we used to kid her all the time about being so slow in movement. So she isn't the type to want to hurry things up.

Now she is approaching 80. And she hates the way the game is played now. It takes too long for her. The moments between the times when the ball is actually put in play last longer than multitude of commercial breaks. Hitting seems more about strength than skill. She has always loved strike outs. But the past, it was more about the pitcher throwing something the batter couldn't hit. Now it is more about the hitter not being able to hit what's thrown, if you get my point.

If a fan of 8 decades is less drawn to today's game, then how many 8 yr olds do we think are going to have the temperment to sit through a broadcast today?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote