View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 10:37 PM   #114
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

July 11th, 1985

In Pittsburgh. The Pirates are pitching John Candelaria (9-3, 1.92). The Giants are answering with Mike Krukow (9-6, 3.25).

Candelaria is tough. I have gone 0 for 4 against him. I need that to change.

I don't, though. I fly out to Joe Orsulak in right to lead off.

Orsulak hurts us in their half too, hitting an RBI double that scores Denny Gonzalez.

Pirates are up 1-0.

I got the 2n out in the 2nd, taking an Ozzie Smith grounder to get Bobby Miscik at 2nd.

I came up in the 3rd with two out and Fran Mullins on 2nd. I grounded out to Miscik at 2nd.

In the bottom half Fred Lynn parked a Krukow pitch over the right field wall for a two-run dinger. It gets worse as Krukow loads the bases and then walks Ozzie Smith for a run. Gonzalez grounded out to me to end the threat.

Pirates lead 4-0.

In the 4th I keystoned a Krukow - Priske - Aldrete double play to get Tony Pena and Steve Kemp to end the inning.

I got the first out in the 5th off a Tim Tolman grounder.

I came up in the 6th with one out and nobody on. I finally got my first hit against Candelaria, singling up the middle. Unfortunately Jeff Leonard hit into a double play right behind me.

In the bottom half Orsulak got to us again, singling home Gonzalez. That was it for Krukow as Nestor went with Curt Brown. Pena pushed Orsulak across. We ended it with a Mullins - Priske - Aldrete double play to get Pena and Kemp.

Pirates lead 6-0.

In the 7th Rob Deer hit a solo homer to put us not he board.

Pirates up 6-1.

In the bottom half Ozzie Smith scores Tolman with an R|BI double.

Pirates lead 7-1.

Pat Perry comes in to pitch in the 8th after Brown was lifted for a pinch hitter. He fares no better as Orsulak scored on a Pena ground-out and Lynn scores on a Kemp single.

Pirates lead 9-1.

I lead off the 9th and I hit a double into deep centre. I move up to 3rd on a one out single by Chili Davis and then score on a two out double by Bob Brenly. Kenny Oberkfell pushes both of them across but that is as far as it goes and we lose 9-4 to the Pirates.

I went 2 for 4 with a run scored. That is not nothing, but we needed the win.

After the game Mike Jones was called up from Phoenix and Eddie Vargas was designated for assignment. Eddie had been doing some pinch hit duty, but he is hitting as well as I have been.

I like Mike Jones, though. He got five at-bats last year (with no hits), but is still basically a rookie like me.

````````````````````````````````````````

Last edited by rpriske; 08-26-2017 at 11:12 AM.
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote