View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 05:53 AM   #160
djday45
All Star Starter

Bob Cleroux

Cleroux is an almost totally forgotten fighter today, but he was a great contender in the early 60's who finished with a great record against quality opposition and was never stopped. He just had all sorts of troubles against slick boxers.

As always if i dont mention a rating you know i agree with it.

FIGHT OUTSIDE -1. Down one. He had average footwork at best and found it very hard to compete with moving boxers.

GO FOR KNOCKOUT - 3. Up one. He was a quality puncher who had the nous and ability to stop excellent opponents.

DRAW POWER -2. Down one. Apart from his beloved Canada Cleroux was always overlooked and is nearly totally forgotten today. he unlike his fellow Canadian Chuvalo (who he beat two out of three) never received the mega fights against Ali, Frazier etc and suffers historically because of that.

CONDITIONING -2. Up one. He always came into his bouts in excellent nic.

CONTROL VS BOXER -7. Down two. Big drop here and its the only way to accurately portray the man. He had terrible trouble all though his career with clever boxers, his losses to Folley are only the tip of the iceberg.

CONTROL VS SLUGGER - 11. Up one, in contrast to this he was great against fellow punchers and swarmers beating Chuvalo twice and Williams for example.
I know traditional ratings in the game dislike a differance of more thna two between the two control factors but I flatley disagree and to be plain its the only way of acuurately modelling sometimes a fighters results who did so differently against varying styles. Cleroux is absolutley one of those fighters.

CHIN VS KNOCKOUT -0. Not sure if i changed this but he was never stopped and had an amazing chin only slightly less tougher than George.

KILLER INSTINCT -8. Up one. he had a really top quality stoppage percentage and is reflected here.

DEFENSE -0. Improved one step. Although he had trouble with movers he is described as being a excellent fighter, very solid and not a face first guy at all. This will help him against fellow punchers and ensure he performs well against them.

HITTING POWER -9. Up one. Due to his ko percentage and stoppage record im tempted to go higher but im going for a 9 as when researched they dont talk about his great power overly more the fact he had excellent power but this was added to him him being a fine overall fighter overall who was a natural puncher, so im going for a 9 which ranks him with say Patterson in power which I feel is about right.

PUNCHING -36. Up one step. He was on the slow side but his good skills improve this slightly, he was not too bad in this department.

OVERALL RATING -10. Up one, the game had him pretty good but this rating really rams home the fact that he will beat most sluggers of the era but lose to nearly all the top boxers at the same time. He should be more remembered as a "nearly great". Once again with very durable fighters the game boosts the overall rating slightly higher than I feel they should be.
djday45 is offline   Reply With Quote