View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 03:30 PM   #10
Coxmeatsandwich
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandMan View Post
One quick question - do your season start exactly on the 1st of April or do you want to have it start on the first monday after the first? Most schedules on the boards start on monday. If you have it always start on the first you will get some weird days. You may get a series starting on thursday and you will get a th-f-sa then the next series starts on sunday. I set my schedules to go by the week with the schedule broken down in 2 series per week either a M-Th or Th-Su. The duplication on Thursday is used when I have a 4 game series that week so the schedule would have a 3 game and a 4 game either M-Th/F-Su or M-W/Th-Su.

Okay, here is the design I have in mind. 54 games in division all 3 game series. I don't know how you are doing the non division now but this what I found to be a good solution and to make sure that all teams will play each other evenly. All teams will get either a Mon or Thu off not all teams will get the same off day for immersion purposes to have games on every game day during the season.

What I want to do is to create the following setup for non division games. Each team will have a "sister" division where they play all 7 teams at home and another where the other division plays all home games. There would be 3 game series for 21H/21A. This gives you the 54+42 for 96 games and then the division that the div does not play there will be a 2H/2A series for 100 games or 3H/3A for 102 games..

Here is the part that I think would be cool. To have it so all teams play each other (they only play 2 out of the 3 div) I would create a rotating schedule system. Each schedule will have the same division games but they would rotate like the following:

1-2 1-3 1-4 1-2 1-3 1-4
2-4 2-1 2-1 2-3 2-4 2-3
3-1 3-4 3-2 3-4 3-2 3-1
4-3 4-2 4-3 4-1 4-1 4-2

This required 6 combinations so that there would not be a division playing both home and away against an opponent in a series and that no division matchups appear multiple times. So with three it causes divisions in one season to have the same matchup in another, so simple math said if I made 6 schedules, each division matchup will not duplicate in a season as a home/away and this would have each div playing 2 home and 2 away matchups over the course of the 6 schedules. Hard to explain but look at the div matchups above and you will see that how no div plays another both home and away and over the course of the schedules they play each div 2H/2A.

It is actually not so hard to create these schedules, and simple to use on your end. Just load the next schedule the following year. I prefer this because if I wrote one schedule then the next season OOTP switches matchups and you never know what you will get after the first year. Loading a schedule each year will allow you control and assures that each team will play each other team the same amount of games over time.

I guess I like to have perfect schedules, if you don't need it this perfect I can create just one for you and will post it here, but I plan to do the 6 rotating schedule system and will post those on another thread if you don't need them. I like the rotating system because when you look back at your history you will know that the schedules were even and all teams played each other (even though it is over a few years). I know I am picky with this but I also have a long running league and it added a lot having rotating schedules. I use GMO's 30 team rotating schedules that were created in 2008. His rotation has 30 schedules - whew!

I am hoping you like this idea because I am about 70% done with the matchups and would hate not to create the schedules as designed.
Yes this sounds fine, the rotating schedules sound great for immersion purposes. As far as when my schedule starts, I've been using the default set up, so all of my seasons have started on the 1st, but if it makes more sense to start them the first Monday, I can handle it, and adjust the other schedules for my feeder/minor leagues accordingly.
Coxmeatsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote