View Single Post
Old 08-27-2016, 01:25 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

how to easily manage the minors: after you are set up and have a good grasp of what you are going to do, it will take 30 seconds of effort 4 times per season... the rest can be delegated / ignored. be familiar with "Rosters and Transactions" and "Strategy->player strategies" pages. that's alll the info in one spot... all the minors visible on one page and sorted by potential makes moving players around simple.

only focus on "talented players....(on 80-scale) for me that's 60+ position players / releivers and 50+ SP... you may feel differently. i do make exceptions to this rule... e.g. if the guy is powerful and contact near 50% of scale... he may not rate well but that's a potential stud. use potential at first, then make sure none are slipping through cracks. as i draft them i have already decided if i will control them...

so, as you draft them you figure out which you focus on. little maintenance each year after initial setup.

I would shortlist the ones you care about as you draft (or right before you click "select", rather) then they are easy to see in the lists. go to player strategy page and drag each capitalized name down and "Lock to current level" ... from now on you must manually move them through your system. go back to rosters/transactions and move them from Rookie ball to where you want.

just be systematic... it doesn't require daily care. keep a look out for those that lose talent or gain talent... remove and add to manual control as needed. After you send prospects back down from spring training, assess the situation. Then, check in 1-2 months into season (i actually wait for the draft to sve on effort and time since i will be doing it with new players anyway, but i will look in for somethign amazing or special situations -- maybe someone is a hair below MLB ready and only needs a couple development ticks to be viable... i will peak at him as needed earlier). After the draft re-assess important prospects once more (have at least 1month left of their season or if promoted that league is still playing for a month etc) for promotions or to remove from shortlist and remove "Lock". 3 times per season is all you need. i'm not sure if the offseason matters, but i do move them at the end of season too.

Check - Season start
Check - after draft
Check - with 1 month left of MiL season
Cehck - at end season just in case offseason level they are in affects development... i don't think it does.

the less you micromanage tehse players the better... move and forget them... perfomance doesn't matter so don't hamstring yourself looking at it and reacting to it. what matters is if they are in the happy zone of ratings for that league, if so they will develop as well as possible. no guarantees on results - same reason you ignore them, lol. Unless you think your scout is terribly wrong, leave them where they are.

**after you move any manually controlled player, click "ask AI to set up complete Minor LEague system" from the available actions on "Rosters and Transactions" screen. so, even the ones you aren't caring about might get promoted too, if deserving. This will NOT affect manually locked players... However, if you select or mis-click "ask AI to setup Complete Organization" it WILL mess things up even if locked.

Delegate minor league promotions and lineups to Minor League Managers. heck i even let the asst GM do my minor league personnel hire/fire now. i delegate minor league FA signings and releasees too... no problems here on that.

In essence: once you have it set up, you only have to pay attention to 5-10 players in your syste, and the rest is AI controlled. 3 or 4 times per season promote/demote as necessary and clean up shortlist of players you no longer care for or add new ones to the list of control.

Don't limit that list to players you like.... Trade Bait is important too... e.g. SP don't have to be rated high to be good trade chips. So if you dn't value somethign the AI does, realize that's still valueable in trades and worth the shortlisting with other prospects!! if you move them along more efficiently than the AI they will develop better and trade / play better.

when to move? focus on ratings... pay your scout well and buddget for the minors at least middle of the road relative to the league - 3-4M maybe at least?

Batters: focus on contact... even if eye is amazing or terrible, promote when contact is ready. 100-point scale for easy conversions... although if you use 1-5 or 1-10 you may want to rethink some of these. at that resolution, scouting inaccuracy wil make this more difficult... you will have to incorporate stats into the decision... but very fogiving... i.e. a .180 BA isn't that bad in many cases.

Contact rating *~minimum* for leage level:
Rookie - 0-20
Short A -at least ~21-23 if lower (21/22), then a decent eye too relatively speaking for S A-level.
A---------25-27 - once they hit 25, think about promoting to A-ball
AA--------30-32 - once they hit 30, promote to AA
AAA------35-37 - once they are 35-37, promote to AAA

Contact signifcantly more important than Eye... and power is ignored.

figure ~5-7 points or 100 per level. A/A- being abit tighter. do not worry one bit about their resulting stats... unless they have an average in the .0xx range and a k/9 rate that seems impossible

caveats for batters.... ignore power... it won't develop early very often... figure AA/AAA it will start to rise if at all. EYE - only allow this to influence decisions when it is EXTREMELY high or low relative to league level. it is wise to bump early/later due to this reason.

say he's a 24contact with 1 eye... you may want him in R instead of A- when you draft him, but don't let it hold him back... if contact is improving steadily, move him up before that rating gets too high for that level and stops developing well.

Pitchers - more complicated, but focus on Control. unlike batters, movement and stuff have a grater influence than power/eye. to learn, watch teh green/red arrows that the AI suggests... realize they are bunk on occasion, but after a while you'll know exactly when a pitcher can move up even if his control is a bit low. you'll know when to let him simmer when movement or stuff lags.

contorl > Stuff > movement. movement is a distant 3rd, but can't be ignored like power on batters.

Last edited by NoOne; 08-27-2016 at 02:15 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote