View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
RchW
Hall Of Famer

The Phillies and the NCAA need to be smacked hard

Seems like a tie for jerk of the year so far in 2014. I'll give the Phillies the edge for their institutional childishness in ratting out a 5th round draft pick who decided to go back to school. The NCAA is no better since they lost a case, Oliver v NCAA back in 2009 but still seem to have some restriction on the rights of people to retain legal advice when negotiating contract offers.

I can't understand the Phillies though. What were they thinking? I'd love to find out if one of the prospects they did sign in the past violated the same NCAA rules. They could open themselves up to a significant lawsuit if their actions are found to be in retaliation or in an effort to intimidate. Good luck signing prospects this year.

As for the NCAA, I always associate it with a bad smell. Organized crime never had it so good.

Buster Olney Eviscerates Phillies for Ratting Out Draft Pick to the NCAA | Crossing Broad

Phillies Accused Ben Wetzler Of NCAA Rules Violations - BaseballAmerica.com

Oliver v. NCAA: Court Throws Out NCAA Baseball Lawyer-Agent Rule ? CONNECTICUT SPORTS LAW

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote